I am a wannabe tortoise person

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hello fellow tortoise people,
We are a homeschooling family with all manner of creatures but the one special friend we lack is a desert tortoise. I have wanted one since I met a 30 year-old fellow about 20 years ago. He is still alive and full of personality. I am here to learn more about them before we actually get one. Thanks for sharing your tortoise experiences.
Lesley

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for info! There are lots of experienced desert tort people here to help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lesley said:

Hello fellow tortoise people,
We are a homeschooling family with all manner of creatures but the one special friend we lack is a desert tortoise. I have wanted one since I met a 30 year-old fellow about 20 years ago. He is still alive and full of personality. I am here to learn more about them before we actually get one. Thanks for sharing your tortoise experiences.
Lesley

Welcome to the forum, Lesley: Where do you live? There are usually quite a few male desert tortoises up for adoption in the CTTC (California turtle & Tortoise Club)'s adoptions, but they usually like to adopt out to folks in their areas so they can do a yard inspection.

Yvonne

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
Hi Lesley and welcome to the forum.:)

lesley

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, Lesley: Where do you live? There are usually quite a few male desert tortoises up for adoption in the CTTC (California turtle & Tortoise Club)'s adoptions, but they usually like to adopt out to folks in their areas so they can do a yard inspection.

Yvonne
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I live in the foothills above Sacramento. A few years ago when I looked into adoption it seemed that they wanted there to be no small children. Well, I have a few of those too. But I will look into it again.

Lesley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lesley said:
Thanks for the welcome. I live in the foothills above Sacramento. A few years ago when I looked into adoption it seemed that they wanted there to be no small children. Well, I have a few of those too. But I will look into it again.

Lesley

Lesley: I think the Cen-Val Chapter is the closest to you, and I do the adoptions for them. San Jose is starting up a chapter, but its not up and running yet and I doubt there are any adoptions yet. Obviously, I can't come and do a yard inspection due to the cost of gas these days, but if you would send me some detailed pictures of where you are planning to keep the tortoise, I can forgo the yard inspection. Send them to: [email protected]
Please go to my website
[email protected]/
and download an adoption form. The second sheet shows you what I look for when I do a yard inspection. Kids aren't a problem if you provide a separate area for the tortoise. I have several animals that are looking for new forever homes: 4 male CDT, male Russians, male 3-toe box turtles, 1 male gulf coast box turtle and 1 male ornate box turtle. Then you would have to travel to Clovis to pick up your turtle, as I don't ship the rescues.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you may be lucky to be getting to have one of Yvonne's rescues.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Lesley ~

It's great to see that you are gaining knowledge before gaining the critter ~ a wise decision that many choose to ignore {and then once the novelity wears off, the poor tortie is a forgotten piece of 'property'}

Bravo to you & yours ~
Be well & well blessed,
purpod

lesley said:

I am here to learn more about them before we actually get one. Thanks for sharing your tortoise experiences.
Lesley

Status
Not open for further replies.