I am a newbie, story of my tortoise and it getting better +questions :D

Janine

I am from the UK and became a horsfield tortoise owner on the 19th of April 2014. I have one tortoise. His/her name is Sheldon, but I may change the name to Tortilla as Sheldon is such a common tortoise name and I dont know its gender yet. He/she was 10 months old back in April. I visit here regularly but didn't join up. Since in that time I have my tortoise he has been very expensive. Eventhough I fell in love with my tortoise at first sight, I ended up picking a tortoise that had softshell, worms and an eye infection. I didnt know at the time it was ill, but quickly realised after I had bought it, but I really liked my specific tortoise and wanted to treat him. But through a lot of money spent at my expensive vets (about £450+) he is 100% healthy now. He now has a hard shell, no worms and healthy eyes. My vets is £50 for a consultation, so every time i went with him it cost me £50, he went through 3 different eyedrops for the infection (about £30 for each) only the last one worked. You can see how the money added up. Its rather annoying he already had worms, softshell and an eye infection before I got him, but it was worth it now he is better. I have a few questions;

well my first question is, is it spelt like horsefield or horsfield ?

Another question, when my tortoise was wormed it cost me £60 at the vets. The vet would directly put it in his mouth but I was looking a site and found a cheap wormer (http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/tortoise-accessories/tortoise-wormer-plus) does that stuff work and would it be better to get it in the future?

here is a picture of my cutie:

Attachments

• IMG_20140728_153929681.jpg
    IMG_20140728_153929681.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 25

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A quick google search tells us this

• Common names: Horsefields Tortoise/Russian Tortoise/Central Asian Tortoise/Russian Steppe Tortoise/Four-Clawed Tortoise/Afghan Tortoise

• Scientific name: Testudo Horsefieldii

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Things you love always cost lots of money . I had a male leopard that found a sml piece of plastic after a storm and he ate it and stopped eating . So I took him to the vet . The vet said the tort needed sergery and I would need specel food so with the food and overnight at the vet and the surgery cost would be $1200.00 . I should come back in the morning . So I came back in the morning . The tort died in the night . I ask the vet what it would cost he said $1200.00 I thought he would at least remove the price of the food but nope I never got the food and was charged $1200.00 and I still lost the tort .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Janine, and welcome to the Forum!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Things you love always cost lots of money . I had a male leopard that found a sml piece of plastic after a storm and he ate it and stopped eating . So I took him to the vet . The vet said the tort needed sergery and I would need specel food so with the food and overnight at the vet and the surgery cost would be $1200.00 . I should come back in the morning . So I came back in the morning . The tort died in the night . I ask the vet what it would cost he said $1200.00 I thought he would at least remove the price of the food but nope I never got the food and was charged $1200.00 and I still lost the tort .

Did this with a sray kitten once with broken leg. But it was $500 and he never came out of the Surgery.

I told the vet I wasn't paying for a botched job. Settled for $100.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
All I wanted was for him to remove the food that I never got from the bill and he wouldn't but he is one of two best vets in AZ ,