Hyperactive tortoise

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
I have two male hermannis in separate enclosures. They have water, food, and their temperatures are good. No matter how much space I give them they keep running at the walls. They do this for several hours every day. And they are making so much noise that I cant stay in the same room without getting really stressed out - It's worse than a crying baby.

The only thing that makes them calm down is to turn off the lights, but I cant keep doing that all the time. :p

I also let them run around on the floor but i don't like having them around my feet. Often they just find a new wall they want to get through.

Both of them are healthy, and I've had them for many years. I take good care of them, so i don't know what's wrong.

Sometimes I get so tired of them that I am considering to sell them both, because this kind of stress every day is not good for my health. But I'm very attached to them, so selling them isn't really an option. What should I do?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What size is their enclosure? Do they have an outside enclosure to run around in?

— Gus

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I have the same "problem" with one male of an other species at the moment but he is fresh adult so I think this activity is normal for this age. For me it is interesting to know how old are they.. Maybe you have the same situation like me.
One solution could be hibernation. At the moment the time for hibernation start and maybe after that they will be normal. But I know that too.. Hermanni males are so active that's normal. My solution is the hibernation..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
is the enclousre glass? If so, cover the outside of it up taller then they are. The size of the enclosure may be too small. Also, what are the temps, possibly to hot or too cold. Can they see each other? Move the enclosures so they can't.