Hyper Box turtle

So I just got a new 6 year old male ornate box turtle and put him in a 40g breeder but he is kind of going crazy he won't go in any hides and just paces and tries to get through the glass. Will he grow out of this? So far he's tipped himself twice. He's eaten some night crawlers and superworms but he won't eat strawberries. Besides the fact that he is just settling in I want to say that Arizona Toroise Compound was great and he is very healthy and heavy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I feel that a 40 gallon isn't big enough, but that's probably not why he's uncomfortable. Box turtles are one of the most territorial of chelonians. They will traverse miles and miles trying to get back to their territory. So until your new little guy realizes that he's in a new territory to claim as his own, he's going to keep trying to escape back to his old territory.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Restlessness is common for turtles and tortoises when placed in a new environment. They usually settle down after a couple of days.

How big is the turtle? At 6 years old I would expect he should be nearly full grown and much too big for a 40 gallon tank. Despite the stress of being in a new environment, he may be displaying the "hyper" behavior as a result of added stress of being confined in a small area.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He's going crazy for two reasons. He can see out of the glass and is trying to escape to find his way home and thy tank is too small. A 40gal is fine for a hatchling but too small for an adult box turtle.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree the 40 is to small, he will settle down but he won't be happy.

I feel that a 40 gallon isn't big enough, but that's probably not why he's uncomfortable. Box turtles are one of the most territorial of chelonians. They will traverse miles and miles trying to get back to their territory. So until your new little guy realizes that he's in a new territory to claim as his own, he's going to keep trying to escape back to his old territory.
Restlessness is common for turtles and tortoises when placed in a new environment. They usually settle down after a couple of days.

How big is the turtle? At 6 years old I would expect he should be nearly full grown and much too big for a 40 gallon tank. Despite the stress of being in a new environment, he may be displaying the "hyper" behavior as a result of added stress of being confined in a small area.
He's going crazy for two reasons. He can see out of the glass and is trying to escape to find his way home and thy tank is too small. A 40gal is fine for a hatchling but too small for an adult box turtle.
I agree the 40 is to small, he will settle down but he won't be happy.
Well I won't bother getting him a new enclosure yet because I'll be making him an outside enclosure and he'll probably go out in May but what size do you recommend getting for when I bring him back in for the winter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He can hibernate, so you won't need to house him in the winter.

He can hibernate, so you won't need to house him in the winter.
I'd rather not hibernate him I just don't like the idea of not having him for half of the year and from what I've heard its ok to bring them in for the winter. I'm sure you are more knowledgable than me so I was wondering if I could do that?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can keep him up all winter if he is a long term captive or captive bred. He'll need as much space as you can manage, indoors and out.

Where do you live? Climate determines so much about care and advice.

Build the larger indoor habitat right away unless he's only days from going outside.

What are you using for substrate & light?

I live in PA and Im waiting for it to get a little warmer. He is a 6 year old captive bred. For substrate I have a mix of topsoil spagnum moss coconut husk ( but not much) and cypress mulch. Lighting I have a uvb strip and a uva baskin bulb the basking spots about 90. From everything I read online it said a 40g was ok for groups of adults so I though it would be great for just one.
You can keep him up all winter if he is a long term captive or captive bred. He'll need as much space as you can manage, indoors and out.

Where do you live? Climate determines so much about care and advice.

Build the larger indoor habitat right away unless he's only days from going outside.

What are you using for substrate & light?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Well I won't bother getting him a new enclosure yet because I'll be making him an outside enclosure and he'll probably go out in May but what size do you recommend getting for when I bring him back in for the winter?

Anything with floor space. A Rubbermaid storage bin works great.

The biggest storage bins I saw were 40g also. Btw he's settled down a bit and has borrowed down under his half log. Are you sure 40g breeder is too small because most websites I saw said a 30 or 40 would work well?
Anything with floor space. A Rubbermaid storage bin works great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember, everything like that - aquariums, plastic tubs - are measured volume. You don't care about volume, what you want is a big floor space.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh I see. The 40g breeder is 3'x1.5'. Still too small?
Yep. I'd go with a minimum of 8'x8' to be honest. Box turtles as Yvonne stated are quite territorial and will venture. They also prefer to hunt, scour, and search for food. So being such an active species of chelonian I'd give him as much as you can. Is outside an option? That would best, and could also let him hibernate through winter as well.

Yep. I'd go with a minimum of 8'x8' to be honest. Box turtles as Yvonne stated are quite territorial and will venture. They also prefer to hunt, scour, and search for food. So being such an active species of chelonian I'd give him as much as you can. Is outside an option? That would best, and could also let him hibernate through winter as well.
Yes outside is an option Im already planning on making an outside enclosure very soon!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Could I ask you a few questions though about building one because I have 2 different options of where to put it. I could make a 7x6 which gets all day sun or an 10x8 that only gets morning sun.
I'd go with the morning sun location. Especially keeping summer months in mind. Also depends where your located at. In Texas we can get extremely warm during the summer and 15+minutes of direct sunlight can kill any turtle or tortoise. So we shelter almost everything with heavily shaded large trees, but morning sun is full and afternoon is just a trickle through the tree-lines. Boxies love plants to hide under too.

I'd go with the morning sun location. Especially keeping summer months in mind. Also depends where your located at. In Texas we can get extremely warm during the summer and 15+minutes of direct sunlight can kill any turtle or tortoise. So we shelter almost everything with heavily shaded large trees, but morning sun is full and afternoon is just a trickle through the tree-lines. Boxies love plants to hide under too.
Yea I'll make sure get get lots of plants and leaves for a compost pile I think I'll also plant a meadow area with dandelions and clovers and stuff. Sounds good I'll probably have him outside in 2-3 weeks