Hunting Like A Robin

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I saw this female looking for something today, thinking it was a cicada getting ready to come out of the ground I watched her for a bit, took a few pics. She has been here a long time so she pays me no mind when i get near her. Picture 161.jpg Picture 162.jpg Picture 164.jpg Picture 166 copy.jpg Picture 167.jpg Picture 168.jpg Picture 169 copy.jpg It's hard to make out (because of a poor pic taker) but she sensed, heard or however they do it a earthworm. The next time I see her out I will clean her up and take a pic so you can see her true colors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've read about them doing this, but have never seen it happen. Good job catching it!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've read about them doing this, but have never seen it happen. Good job catching it!!
I've noticed the females seem to be better hunters (finders) than the males when the cicadas start emerging, Never paid attention on worm hunting. I'll have to start looking closer at their skills.I have 3 sprinklers set up to cover most of the yard I ran one yesterday for about 6 hours to help bring the worms up for them and so they could drink from formed puddles like in the wild..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is beautiful!

Was she doing the spinning in circles thing?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
She is beautiful, Len. I love the tone of her skin and the look in her eyes.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gosh, she's gorgeous! :) And has a very knowing look about her!!!!

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I had a box turtle for 12 years that if it rained or I watered down the enclosure, she would start furiously digging for worms, with success.