Humidity problems.

Fe-2470

My tortoise pyramids and i have been told the main cause is humidity, so can anyone suggest a humid substrate, i have also been told that my uv and heat lamp is very drying. If anyone has any other suggestions to make my Herman's enclosure more humid please don't hesitate to reply. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A large closed chamber is the way to go. It makes maintaining humidity easy, and since the heat is closed in and contained, you burn a lot less desiccating electricity to maintain the correct temperatures.

I find that fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate for adult testudo. I don't like sand or soil for a variety of reasons.

To be quite frank: With the size and age of your tortoise, the damage is done. It won't hurt to make all these changes, but it also isn't going to accomplish a lot. Over months and years you will be able to begin to change the angle of the new growth, but your tortoise doesn't have a whole lot of new growing to do anymore.

Fe-2470

Thank you so much for your help, you are certainly knowledgeable in the tortoise world. Could she ever have a flat shell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for your help, you are certainly knowledgeable in the tortoise world. Could she ever have a flat shell?

Sorry, but the growth that has already occurred will not change. Its just cosmetic though, if all else has been good. Nothing to worry about. Just know that if you ever raise another baby, attention must be paid to humidity and hydration.

Fe-2470

Do you know what is the right temperature for her enclosure should be?

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I don't know what species your tortoise is, but I have my red foots in an outdoor enclosure, with 60%+ humidity, a basking spot in the low 90's (Fahrenheit), a regular temperature in the mid to low 80's (F), and a cool temperature in different hides in the high to mid 70's (F).
I didn't do anything to set up the temperatures or humidity in their outdoor enclosure, it's just naturally at those levels in the area where I live.
If you want more humidity, I would mist your tortoise's enclosure to make the substrate damp but not soaked. When the substrate is damp, the moisture will precipitate under the heat bulb in your enclosure. The water will evaporate, but will be in the air of the enclosure and still give humidity, but this will only work if you keep the enclosure closed off to trap the humidity in there.
Hope that helped with your issue :,,^)
Also dw about the pyramiding... it may not be reversible, but once you raise the humidity, he/she will grow flat growth rings on the shell and slowly even out the pyramiding.

Fe-2470

Wow thank you so much. I have one 4 year old hermann tortoise.