Humidity (for Marginated tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Have a young marginated tortoise, I maintain temps day and night to those of its country of origin, Greece. I'm trying to do this with humidity, which is aprox 60%. My set up came with aspen, and my Tort seems to like it and enjoys burying down in it on a night. I have a second table that i use with him with Eco earth in it, that I plan to attach to the first one. My plan being to completely replace the aspen with the Eco earth, however he doesn't dig down into the Eco earth as he does with the Aspen. Plus I can not seem to regulate the Eco earth humidity levels, it's over 90%. My question is should I carry on and dry the Eco earth out until it's at the right humidity levels. Or should I try another type of substrate, such as wood chips or pellets. Or stick with Aspen.?
I give him regular soaks, and sprays I have no health problems with him.

He's in a tortoise table, background temps approx 78, basking 92, night time 62. These are averages I don't use a che or any other heaters, but my central heating maintains these temps, plus I live in the north east of England and its normally raining so ambient humidity is not a problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Humidity

I don't keep marginated tortoises, and know nothing about them, but I wanted to commend you for trying to duplicate the tortoise's home environment.

It seems to me that quite a few marginated keepers use the aspen bedding for their tortoises. If that is working for you, I would continue to use it.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi thanks, yes seems to be working well for me but I'm open to ideas, there's such a wealth of knowledge on here, and with animals like these I do feel a sense of responsibility to get it right considering that if I get it wrong I could be depriving this little tort of a 100+ years, of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.