Humidity for a Russian?

Siarra

Location (City and/or State)
denver
I don't have a RT yet, but I'm aware that Russian tortoises need humidity. I was wondering how much, and how to put humidity in. I live in Colorado, so it's pretty dry up here. The enclosure I have is around 45 gallons. (I'm aware glass isn't a great option, I'm going to place tape in the tortoise's line of sight so it won't get a rash on its nose). I haven't set it up yet. I'm getting my RT is a few weeks, and I'm still in the research stage. What's a good way to raise the humidity in an enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not really. They come from a pretty dry area of the steppe. Of course, babies could use a bit more than adults. If it were me and I was getting an adult russian tortoise I would, first of all, set it up outside. I believe tortoises are wild animals and do better mentally and physically outside. If that's not possible, I'd just set the enclosure up (the biggest container I can find ) with a substrate of dirt from the garden. You can moisten it a little, but not too much. You want the top layer to be dry with slightly damp underneath.