How'd you get yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bansh88

A lot of Tortoises have intersting histories. How'd you guys come to have yours?
Both my sulcatas, my brother and I picked out at the pet store when they were Cadbury Egg size.
My Hermanns were bought for my 29th? birthday by my roomate during a drunken blackout. He paid like $350 for the pair.
I adopted my Big Desert Tortoise from the Tortoise Society.
I TOOK my baby Desert from a neighbor who was neglecting it. His little buddy was long dead, still in the enclosure when I nabbed the him.

AshelyStoliOzo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
lynnwood wash.
thats screwed up that they were neglecting them.. my last roommate did that to his brothers turtle.... i got the gecko then found the turtle... alll while he was in jail. didnt know he had them.. so sad... so now i have 2 leopard geckos and two greek tortoises... stloi and ozo

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Most of my 33 are rescues, or from breeder friends! LOL Love going over their houses! lOL I have bought a couple from stores...1 sulcata, an ornate wood, and my russian,.

S

squirtle

I bought my older Sulcata on Craigslist...he was too much money but they were keeping him in a storage bin and feeding him iceberg lettuce. I couldn't let him stay! I bought my younger Sulcata from a Pet Store, and my desert tortoise was a gift when my neighbor moved.

Tortmom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got my sulcuta from a kid in Portland,Or. The kid did not know what to feed him and how to house him so my husband and I drove for two hours to get him. His name is Samson. Samsno is between 2 and four months old according to a reputable reptile breeder. My Eastern box I got from a woman who was in the pet store looking at substrates when we were and she asked if we wanted her turtle because she did not know how to take of him. His name is Scooter and he is about 6 months old according to the woman.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Bought my 2 Greeks from a local Reptile store. They said they were given to them because the owners couldn't keep them. Vet said they were about 13 yrs and that they were-are in good health better now after worming and they have both picked up weight. Now housed outside and loving it.
My 4 RES were from a vender at a carnival. What posesses people to sell little babies that are sure to die because people don't know how to care for them. But I have had them since March and they are growing and doing well.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
I got my Two Hermans Tortoises (Humpfree and Henryeta) from a guy that raised them since eggs But was moving He sold them to us He said they were 3 years old.Sadly Henryeta is not around anymore.:(

G

greekgolden

I got my Greek golden from a pet shop she is wild caught, I took her right away to a vet for an exam, she had parasites which is normal. She loves her big backyard she is 2 yrs old. But she has a bad habit like my dog they both love cat poop, gross. So I keep her area clean of cat poop.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
I got my sulcata from someone who responded to a craigslist ad I posted. I have really wanted to adopt a land turtle or tortoise for a long time. Well, the guy told me he was a desert tortoise but didnt know anything more specific. I drove out to get him and saw that they were keeping him in screened in porch (no lights or anything). As soon as I saw him, I knew something was wrong, he had a long trail of goopy poop hanging from his butt and there was liquid poop everywhere. They told me then that he had only ate iceberg lettuce for the past 5 years! His shell is unfortunately pyramided but he is eating great his poop looks totally normal again. Spike is a great pet!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
tortoise adoption stories are so great.

SulcataPappa

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Stagecoach ,NV
My 2 Sulcatas I got from a breeder in Long Beach CA. My softshell turtle from a pet store I didn,t know they had soft shelled turtles but I do now. The red ear slider is my daughters that I made her save the $30 from chores and the price of her tank from petco. Ok I helped a lot with the price of the tank, $20.00 is way to small of a tank. She is 7 and is learning a lot from me helping her and her and I on the net.

P

pouncethecat2002

I got my baby sulcata from kingsnake.com : ),from a guy in Az,the other one i got from a lady on CL.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi i got Looi from a petstore. He is a bundle of joy. but hates being touched.
My other tortoise Daisy, was a rehomer from an old school mate, she has a slight pyramiding but shes healthy as an 'oss!

Theyre both THBs

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hill Country, TX
I got my sulcatas from a girl on craigslist.
Sadly i got my hingback from an importer that shipped them to me back before i really knew any thing besides wow these guys are really cool looking and really cheap. I had 2 shipped to me and the female died shortly after going to the vet and getting debugged. The male is doing pretty good. I leave him alone for the most part still. I feed and change his water daily but really only take him out when he is trying to escape.
My boxie was given to me by my grandparents that live in BFE east TX. I was 18 or 19 and had just moved in to the coolest apartment, but my place had bugs bad. They brought her to me and said to turn her lose in the apartment and she will get rid of all the bugs. I did just that and after a month i had no bugs and the best roommate you could ask for. Jimmy has been with me ever since and acts more like a dog then a turtle. lol....

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
I would agree he was proably with the guy at the petstore you were talking about dinkanber.Too many people don't do any reaserch on these wonderful animals I mean come on about every care sheet about tortoisese will tell you not to feed them iceburg.And you would think the owner would findout that something was wrong.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would say the people that feed iceburg just don't care!! I got 5 boxies from my uncles planter after they were dumped on him, his neighbor wanted turtles so a friend of my uncle brought some down from Kansas needlest to say neighbor did not want them. My 6th boxie I got from the petstore I walked in to get my worms and fish and they asked me to examine some of thier turts and torts so I said ok, needless to say I brought the sick one home with me @ no charge of course, because they knew I had told them a month before what they needed to do to make him better. My RES hatchlings I rescued from an employee at the vet's office who housed them in a plastic shoebox, I guess she did one good thing though they had a light and a dock. My Russians I got from "my" petstore after they were dropped off by a person who decided they were to much work. I say my because I am in there all the time, everytime I go in now they have me check out the turts and torts. I think it is kinda funny but I am glad they care enough to want to make sure the are ok. In October I am having a male russian shipped to me from a breeder so that maybe one day I will have little Russians running around :) And I might be rescuing a 5" RES this weekend or monday from a life in a 10 gallon tank.

snailie12

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Our neighborhood kids found (full name) Stumpy Hemipenes (nickname) Penie outside. She was missing a foot and her shell was damaged. She is an Eastern Box Turtle. We created an indoor enclosure for her. Her fav foods are Nightcrawlers, Tomatoes, and Sweet Potatoes.

She was thought to be a boy until one day we noticed her eating eggs that neither of us had given her.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I got my hingeback from a client at the Vet I used to work at. Her son didnt want it anymore. I brought her home and soaked her,, she drank for 20 minutes! My Russian was found wandering down the road by a lady. No owner came for it, so I got him. He appears to have a few scars on his shell. Minor. And I just rescued a sulcata. Stunted and pyrimided shell. but she eats well.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My first three are from a petstore, Carmine and Elessar are around and happy, but Donatello died within the first two weeks. The new three are from someone who felt she didn't have time for them anymore... she said she got two of them from a woman who had them since they were hatchlings, and one from a petstore.

Messenjah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I found mine on the side of the road. He was just sitting there, and as soon as I saw the shell I knew what it was. I picked him up and noticed he was still alive. His shell and limbs were intact, so it was evident he hadn't been hit by a car. Yet. I picked him up and carried him for a bit. He seemed distressed by me doing this, so I put him in the front of my laptop bag, where he'd be secure, but would have enough room to breathe. As soon as I got him home, I put him into a bowl of water... which immediately turned black. He was so dirty! But he's cleaned off the best he's going to be for now, and he's burrowing around in the gravel in his tank. I love tortoises... I'm so happy I found him!

Status
Not open for further replies.