How to wean my tortoise?

Macy Fidler

My tortoise only likes eating things I only give him occasionally, such as lettuce and cabbage. What are substitutes I can try? He WILL NOT eat anything else, I've tried all the things he should eat that are in my local grocery store. I don't know what to do! He wants nothing else. Suggestions?

M

Maggie Cummings

Look at it this way. He can only eat what YOU feed him.
So you get the good stuff, leave it in his habitat for about an hour, still there? Throw it out. No meal today for your tort. Do that everyday until he starts to eat. IF he is not sick, he won't starve himself. He'll eat, you just have to be strong and tuff. It might take a couple of weeks. Also do some research and see what Russians like to eat and get that...Don't give into him...

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
yup, my guy tried to outlast me once when i took away the tomatoes, carrots, and broccoli his previous owner was feeding him. went for almost 2 weeks before he gave in and started chomping away on the stuff I offered instead (spring mix, since it was winter time here).

Macy Fidler

Spring mix is what I've been trying mainly, because it kind of blends in with lettuce and cabbage, but boy he can sure tell the difference. I hate him not eating for that long, but I'm going to try it!! Thank you!!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hungry in your best friend. Be strong willed and he'll break in no time. One thing you can do is cut up the good stuff and store it overnight in a ziplock Baggie with the stuff he likes so the smells all mingle. Then pull out the stuff he wants and give him the good stuff. I've also never seen a tort turn down muzuri. Wet it down and mix it with the stuff you want him to eat and each day lessen the amount of muzuri and increase the good stuff until it's nothin but the correct foods.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Macy Fidler

Hungry in your best friend. Be strong willed and he'll break in no time. One thing you can do is cut up the good stuff and store it overnight in a ziplock Baggie with the stuff he likes so the smells all mingle. Then pull out the stuff he wants and give him the good stuff. I've also never seen a tort turn down muzuri. Wet it down and mix it with the stuff you want him to eat and each day lessen the amount of muzuri and increase the good stuff until it's nothin but the correct foods.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Great idea!!!! Thanks so much!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You will have better success with introducing new foods in the springtime too, when the appetite comes back after winter.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have a picky one and she is really good at picking out what she want when I mix it. I chop it up very small and she eats more of everything.