How to tell if my tortoise is happy!

Hello!
I am 13 years old and I got a pet russian tortoise yesterday for a late christmas gift!!!!!!!!! He is really nice, his name is Ted. Sometimes when he is being handled he makes a hissing sound and sometimes his head nods up and down. And he also won't come outside of his shell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO Matthew

The hissing sound is simply your tortoise breathing out air when he pulls his head in suddenly. To make room for his head, he has to breathe out to make his lungs a bit smaller.

Your new pet will feel much safer and happier with all 4 feet on the ground in his enclosure. Don't let him roam free round the house where he will be away from the heat and humidity of his enclosure and where he could accidentally eat dust or hair that could block his digestive system. There's also a risk of him being stepped on or escaping if he roams free. Russians are brilliant escape artists; you only have to be distracted for a moment.

Have you read our guides for caring for a Russian tortoise? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.
Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Can we see pictures? We love pictures :) If you post pictures of your enclosure and lighting we can check things over for you to make sure the set up is right :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A quick PS

At the moment everything is new and Ted doesn't know what is safe and what is dangerous. He is worried you might want to eat him.

You need to establish a routine so he learns what to expect and when.

Have the lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time each day. They must be on for 12 to 14 hours.

First thing in the morning, before he has warmed up properly, soak him in warm water for 20 minutes. Use a flat bottomed bowl that has high sides and he can't see through or over. The water must not be hot - tell Mom it needs to be like a baby bath. The water needs to be deep enough to come just up over the line between his shell and his plastron (undershell)

While he is soaking, tidy his enclosure, fill the water bowl and place food.

Then replace Ted and walk away and leave him completely alone so he can be brave and explore.

He will learn that you are the one that brings yummy food, but it may take weeks or even months. You have to be patient and handle him gently... And leave him in his enclosure as much as possible. Tortoises aren't social pets that like cuddles and attention.

Oogway the russian tort

Same thing happen to me when I got Oogway but after a month he let's me pet him and handle him but u just have to be patient and let ur tort be used to his new home

Russian Rehab

ma
classical conditioning works for literally every animal including humans. You want to "Pair" yourself with reinforcing food experiences and minimize the stress of being handled.

When its time for him to have food give him a warning your going to pic him up. i gently rub my RT carapace to signal him hes going to get picked up. This decreases the stress because he knows its coming. Just think about it... if you were about to get picked up by a giant would you want to get pulled in to the air out of no ware or would you prefer to get taped on the shoulder first so you know its coming. If you do it every time you handle him it will help him establish that this routine is non threatening and usually leads to yummy food.

Also when i pick up my tort i place him in my hand with his heat toward my wrist and his tail toward my fingertips. Hold him so that he is secure an sure not to fall but also able to put all four feet on my hand. again imagine the difference it would make if you were being held with you arms and legs dangling in mid air Vs. if you had the security of feet and hands holding on to your giants hand. When i figured this position out my tort went from full on panic every time he was picked up at the mid shell point to sitting Calmly in my hand.

Once he is more comfortable with being handled in this manner it allowed me to do a quick daily inspection of his body to keep and eye out for any issues like nasal discharge, injury's Ect.

After this make sure that every time you put him down he has a yummy treat waiting for him so that he will being to associate you handling him with good things.
The key is consistency! This only works if you do it the same way every time so that it becomes easy and non stressful for your Tort.
he will be your buddy in no time!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is good advice, however, Matthew hasn't been back on the Forum for over a year.