How to make my tort sleep where I want him to?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
image.jpg Today's first venture into the new outdoor enclosure was a success.

He was active from 8:30 in the morning and just was putting himself down about half an hour ago! Which is a huge difference for him. We had a little rain shower and I tried putting him into each og his hides, but he wouldn't stay in either. Lol. He discovered a love of petunias, that mazuri tastes better outdoors, and that real dirt makes a guy real dirty!

All around a hit, except he seems bent on making his bed time spot by digging in a corner under his mini sun room (a clear plastic dome meant to cover a seed tray). He has a wonderful safe, dark, sort of insulated hide built into his hill on the opposite side of the enclosure. I plan to heat this hide and would feel very much more at ease leaving him out there if that was where he was sleeping.

Can I push the issue? How can I get him to stay there? He is a burrower and he has always claimed his sleeping spot and I have always adjusted his indoor enclosure accordingly, but I can't really do that in this case.

This guy's got me wrapped around his little claw!

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I have made some really neat turtle hides that I would definitely use if I was a turtle, but my turtles don't think they are as cool as I do apparently. I have not had success forcing them to stay anywhere against their wishes. Maybe just give him several options and trust his instincts that he will choose appropriately depending on the weather and his own needs. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just keep putting him in there every night after dark. Then put him in there in the middle of the hot summer days. I find they really learn where their hides are when its time to escape the heat vs. escaping the overnight cold.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
@Tom I will try putting him in mid day too. Thanks!

But to be clear, for night, when I move him and he takes off, do I keep moving him back in, or just let him go? Bar the door?! Or maybe do I move him once he's already asleep?

I just want to do this effectively.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
For us it doesn't get dark until after 10:00 so he goes to sleep well before I have darkness on my side.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I block the door so they can't get out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For us it doesn't get dark until after 10:00 so he goes to sleep well before I have darkness on my side.

There are many reasons why a tortoise might choose not to use the best, safest sleeping area. In this case letting them choose is not in their best interest. I would put the tortoise in its safe hide after dark and block him in there. Then remove the block every morning. Usually after a few nights of this, they realize that there are no tortoise eating monsters in their "cave" and in fact they are the new owner of that "cave".

I have seen it still light after 10pm. I was in Amsterdam and it was really weird to be walking around at 10:30 at night in broad day light. Sunset here is never later than 8 or 8:30.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I'll block the door tonight. Thanks.

That's the beauty of being further North. Long brutal winters where you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark - depressing. Then short glorious summers where the sun wakes your kids up at 5:00 in the morning and you wonder why you bothered with patio lights because you never stay up late enough to use them!

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Door blocked, checked a little while ago and finally found him at the back sound asleep. Had to get a flashlight and pretty much stick my face in the dirt to do it, but he is good.

I'm the mom who could never let her kids cry it out when they wouldn't sleep at night, so I'm somehow feeling a little guilty about this. ☺️