How to handle the big grow up marginated tortoise indoor?

henryzou90

Location (City and/or State)
MI, USA
I live in north USA, it is impossible to keep it outdoor after October and before April. Is anyone have good idea to keep it indoor without enclosure (not so large enclosure to keep 14" margie)? Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have some pictures of very nice indoor habitats in the Enclosure section. One of our moderators put together a bunch of different members' habitats all in one thread. I think you'll find what you're looking for in there. It's at the top of the enclosure section.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Henry welcome to the TFO from AZ . Do what I did I moved from Saginaw , MI . To Phx, AZ . Now my tort is outside year around .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406063515.909617.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way around it. A 14" tortoise needs a big habitat to roam around in. That is a huge Marginated. You sure on that length?

henryzou90

MI, USA
Thanks for everyone 's kindly response. I just think in advance. actually, my margie is just 2" around now. I hope I can figure out a way then with you guy's assistance.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
What state are you located in? Marginateds absolutely can be housed outdoors in North America if done properly. This species hibernates in nature and depending on geographical origin, they are accustomed to very cold winters. If you do your homework and really research the proper way to do it, you definitely can successfully hibernate them outdoors depending on your state. I've done it here in NJ, and some of our adult marginata were hibernated outdoors in NY for years which is even further north than us of course. Either way, you definitely need to plan ahead because if yours turns out to be male, you may very well have a 14" animal on your hands. Most of ours top out at between 9.5 and 12" but we have monsters too, 14"+.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
What state are you located in? Marginateds absolutely can be housed outdoors in North America if done properly. This species hibernates in nature and depending on geographical origin, they are accustomed to very cold winters. If you do your homework and really research the proper way to do it, you definitely can successfully hibernate them outdoors depending on your state. I've done it here in NJ, and some of our adult marginata were hibernated outdoors in NY for years which is even further north than us of course. Either way, you definitely need to plan ahead because if yours turns out to be male, you may very well have a 14" animal on your hands. Most of ours top out at between 9.5 and 12" but we have monsters too, 14"+.

Oh my :). I live in Ohio and I had given up on the thought of a tort outside here all year long. I was sure I had to stick with turtles. This gives me hope!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
We live in WA State, and I plan to refrigerator hibernate my Margies once they are 3 years old. I got one of my little ones from a local breeder, and his Margies live outdoor all year long. The outdoor enclosure includes a portion that has greenhouse paneling, which keeps the torts dry and provides a bit of extra warmth. A greenhouse (even a small, non-fancy one) or a small heated tortoise house (hog heaters or CHE on a thermostat work well) can help regulate the temperature. There are a lot of options.
I also know some folks who build large enclosures in their garage - however rats and mice can be an issue here. Personally, I want my tortoises to be in an area where I see them daily, because I want to avoid the 'out of sight out of mind' phenomenon.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Margies will always be my greatest love, given how fantastically adaptable they are. I keep them outside most of the year here in Texas. I only house them inside from late November, when I start them for brumation prep, and they awaken in late January, early February, right when things start warming up. This summer has been a hot one in south Texas, though not as bad as years past. Daily watering and misting keeps the margies' appetites up, though. Can't say the same for my Greek. He's a dark shade of black, so it is especially rough for him. He spends all of his time in the shade of a mulberry, dug into the soil beneath his brick shelter. He won't come out lest he's dragged out.

You northerners are a brave and resourceful lot, finding ways to keep these torts in climes with subzero winters. I'm always enthused to see such ingenuity.

T.G.

henryzou90

MI, USA
I only raise one Margie, I just wonder is there any way I can keep it indoor whole year long when it grow up. is it possible for it to roam indoor like a dog or cat? Thanks for advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it should not roam inside like a dog or cat. It should be outside at least during the summer months. Personally, with a little effort and money then the folks in the warm states, all torts can live happy in the cold states, weather winter or summer. You just have to have the means and room. I moved to have the yard room:)

henryzou90

MI, USA
summery will be ok outside, but winter is too cold for them even hibernation and inside is too ward to hibernation. so I have to give up the margie? I could not move just for it.