1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How to get my Hermann more active

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Souptugo, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Souptugo

Souptugo Member

Albums:
    Hello, just wondering if anyone has tips on how to get a Hermann tortoise around this time a year to be more active?

His temperature for basking is 93-95 on one end (160 W MVB Reptisun) and about 85-90 (100 W MVB Reptisun) on other end, cool area is 75-80, baths are at 100 and done under ceramic heater (100 W).

Overnight ceramic heater is on for warm, temp at 22 degrees.

I mix substrate with water by hand every day or other day. Humidity is at about 60-70%.

He wakes up daily but doesn't walk around as much as he used to. Could it be the weather? It's my first winter with him, we live in Vancouver BC Canada.

James

IMG_7515.jpg

Attached Files:

2. stevenf625

stevenf625 Member

Albums:
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Do you ever feed Mazuri pellets?
    I read in another post that they tend to perk the tortoise up.
  3. TortoiseWorld

TortoiseWorld Active Member

Try keeping 80F daytime temp even at the lowest side 80F, at night allow a cooling down time (just like in nature), it's good for them to cool down but during the day not less than 80F ambient temp for the whole enclosure. If your tortoise is younger you will want to try to have 90+ % humidity. You want to have the humidity high but the ground on the dry side. Hard to do with an open top enclosure.
    stevenf625 likes this.