How to feed a tortoise up?

hettisurmail

One of my tortoises is very underweight and I was wondering if there's any food that's good for putting weight on quickly. He's a fifteen year old Hermann tortoise.

hettisurmail

What do you mean by "underweight"? Some tortoises are simply larger than others. How much does he weigh? Can you post pictures of him and his enclosure? What are you currently feeding him? Here are care sheets:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
He is 15.5cm long and weighs 677g. He live outside during the day and inside at night. When the weather is really bad he has to stay inside. He eats dandelions, clovers and safe house plants. He has fruit once a week as a treat. He barley eats anything though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need more info. Set up, temps, pic of enclosure would help. How long have you had him?
A bigger variety in the diet might help. Mazuri tortoise food seems to put on size.

hettisurmail

We need more info. Set up, temps, pic of enclosure would help. How long have you had him?
A bigger variety in the diet might help. Mazuri tortoise food seems to put on size.
I don't have pics. I've had him 5 years. He has always been slightly under weight but seems to be losing a lot recently. I feed him at least five different types of house plants so he lonely has each thing once a week. He doesn't have any heat but the house is about 22 degrees. The temperature outside varies but he has always lived outside and was fine before.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
22 degrees is too cold for him to digest his food, that could be why he is not eating. 22 degrees is fine for the cool side of the enclosure, but he needs a basking spot of 32-35 degrees to warm up properly. Does he have any UVB source for when he is indoors(during winter)?

Try to get some pictures of him and his enclosure as soon as possible.

hettisurmail

22 degrees is too cold for him to digest his food, that could be why he is not eating. 22 degrees is fine for the cool side of the enclosure, but he needs a basking spot of 32-35 degrees to warm up properly. Does he have any UVB source for when he is indoors(during winter)?

Try to get some pictures of him and his enclosure as soon as possible.
He hibernates for five months so for the cold months. I've always been advised that it's better for him to live outside mainly where there isn't a heat source. Is that not ok? My other tortoise live exactly the same and is a good weight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have pics. I've had him 5 years. He has always been slightly under weight but seems to be losing a lot recently. I feed him at least five different types of house plants so he lonely has each thing once a week. He doesn't have any heat but the house is about 22 degrees. The temperature outside varies but he has always lived outside and was fine before.

When indoors the tortoise needs a basking area that is around 36-37 degrees. They can't survive in a 22 degree room with no way to warm up. Outdoor living is fine, depending on the climate. Phoenix AZ might be too hot in summer. London might be too cold in summer. Daytime ambient should be warmer up to around 30ish too, in addition to the hotter basking area.

Many "house" plants are toxic. Can you tell us specifically what species of plants you've been feeding him and from what source did you get them?

They should never be eating fruit. It is not good for them and it can mess up their GI tract, which might be your issue compounded by these other factors.

Daily soaks for the next couple of months will ensure this tortoise stays hydrated and healthy, while you sort these things out. The soaks will often stimulate appetite too.

You also mention your other tortoise. Is this tortoise living as a pair with another tortoise? If yes, that is likely a big part of your problem too.

I typed this up for russian tortoise, but care is essentially the same. Please read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

This one too:

hettisurmail

When indoors the tortoise needs a basking area that is around 36-37 degrees. They can't survive in a 22 degree room with no way to warm up. Outdoor living is fine, depending on the climate. Phoenix AZ might be too hot in summer. London might be too cold in summer. Daytime ambient should be warmer up to around 30ish too, in addition to the hotter basking area.

Many "house" plants are toxic. Can you tell us specifically what species of plants you've been feeding him and from what source did you get them?

They should never be eating fruit. It is not good for them and it can mess up their GI tract, which might be your issue compounded by these other factors.

Daily soaks for the next couple of months will ensure this tortoise stays hydrated and healthy, while you sort these things out. The soaks will often stimulate appetite too.

You also mention your other tortoise. Is this tortoise living as a pair with another tortoise? If yes, that is likely a big part of your problem too.

I typed this up for russian tortoise, but care is essentially the same. Please read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

This one too:
I checked all the house plants against to the tortoise table website and it said they were all safe feeds. Both tortoises live together but they have a massive enclosure and there's always more than enough food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We are trying to help you, but you keep responding like everything your doing it feeding is fine, yet your tortoise is losing weight. So far, some things you are doing is wrong. Temps, housing a pair, diet.
We are only trying to help.
They need the proper basking temps. They should not be housed in pairs, which might explain why this one is always smaller, they need a better proper diet.
What's the size of the enclosure? Substrate, a picture will help us to help you and more importantly, your torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I checked all the house plants against to the tortoise table website and it said they were all safe feeds. Both tortoises live together but they have a massive enclosure and there's always more than enough food.

The size of the enclosure has nothing to do with how they feel about living as a pair? If one can see the other from across the way, it is causing them stress. What size enclosure are they in?

What plants are you feeding? This might be your issue. Some foods are better than others. Some foods can cause problems if fed too much or too often, even if they are generally good foods as part of a varied diet. Like kale, spinach or dandelions.

What about your temperatures. A healthy tortoise can go a few days without proper heat, but if they can't warm up they can't digest their food and their immune system can't function properly.

The low temps, the diet, the pair thing and the fruit are all likely contributors, or causes of the issue you are having.