How To Block Jasper's Enclosure From Cats?

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
We have 2 cats, and they used to sleep in my room with me before we got Jasper. Because his enclosure is so large, it would be too hard to make a lid for it. I want them to sleep in my room, but they'll certainly go in Jasper's enclosure (they already have). How could I block it off? The enclosure is 6 foot by 4 foot...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You just have to make the lid in sections. Staple hardware cloth to frames. Hardware cloth is great for keeping cats out, and strong enough to support their weight. My couch sized habitat has a lid in three sections, hinged onto the back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's about the only thing you can do, make a top for it. You can try to make a fence around it, but a top may be easier.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, one more thing you might be able to try. Most dogs and cats don't like tin foil and won't walk on it. You might try lining the area around the enclousre with tin foil so they can't walk close enough to it to jump in. When the tin foil gets a little old, replace it. It needs a lot of crunch and noise go it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep a squirt bottle filled with water handy and give them a little squirt when they look like they're getting ready to jump in.

Phoenix, AZ
I know my cats don't care about the tortoise. They might smell or gently paw at Jasper, but that's it. I'm only worried about them using his enclosure as a litter box or burning themselves from the heating lamp/UVB lamp. If I can't keep them out of the tort enclosure, how could I keep them from at least pooping/burning themselves?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you keep the substrate relatively Moist they probably won't use it as a litter box. They don't like digging in wet dirt. as far as the lights go they'll do it once and not again :) I have caught One of my cat in the enclosure a couple times laying under the heat lamp but I shood out and yelled at her. Now I made itA type of semi closed chamber.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
a lot of us see this problem regularly and i don't mean to be a down or to come off as harsh but cats/dogs shouldn't be around torts or turtles even if you don't think they'll do anything

it's most of the time when the person doesn't think they'll hurt that we end up hearing back about the cat or dog getting a hold of the tortoise and while i wouldn't be worried about a cat carrying off a tortoise per say but cat's have needle like hooked teeth that could harm a tort if bitten

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wouldn't worry too much about the cat with an adult tortoise but they would definitely be a problem with the baby. of course it does depend on the individual cat. I feel there is more danger from the cat using the enclosure as a litter box then from the cat actually harming the tortoise. But I agree that dogs should never be left alone with a tortoise of any size.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would worry about the tortoise eating cat feces or the urine smell of the cat. Also cats are predators by nature and one day may take a swipe at your tortoise and scratch an eye out.

Its all good till someone losses an eye.....

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If the cats knock down a lamp, it could burn the tortoise (I had that once :(, since then all of my enclosures are cat-proof) or even start a fire.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Why do you think you can't keep the cat out? I've had to cat proof my indoor & outdoor enclosures. It can be done. Nuisance but certainly possible, and better than the alternatives.

I once lost a clutch of eggs I didn't know I had in an enclosure I thought too high for my old cat to access. There's nothing like cleaning out 100 lbs of substrate after a cat claimed a habitat as a litter box. Then there are the risks to the animals.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If the cats knock down a lamp, it could burn the tortoise (I had that once :(, since then all of my enclosures are cat-proof) or even start a fire.
Can burn the cat too...

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Can burn the cat too...
Of course! But YourAverageReptileLover is already aware of that risk.
And I guess the cats can jump away before they are seriously hurt, but for a tortoise it could be difficult to creep out from under the sizzling hot lamp.

Phoenix, AZ
I was wondering if I put something over the lamps (something like small piece of chicken-wire or something), then the cats could go in the tortoise enclosure if they wanted without burning themselves. If I kept the soil moist also, they (probably) wouldn't want to pee in it either. Any concerns if they did go in the enclosure despite these fixes?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoises would probably eat the poop. Any medication they may be on or will ever be on is not good for the torts to eat. It's best to train them that they are not allowed in the torts home.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a picture of your enclosure so that we could give you ideas specifically how to keep the cats out? My cats didn't get in the enclosure for two years until a couple months ago when one decided to. that is one of the reasons I made it a partial close chamber. it is a little less convenient to get in there and do what I want, but I can always remove part or all of the cover if I need to.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Chicken wire isn't strong enough to support a cat. Use hardware cloth. It's not cloth, it's wire mesh, available at hardware & building supply stores, cheap, easy to work with. You can cut it with wire snips or strong all purpose scissors & shape it to size.

I'm going to haul some out of my basement tomorrow & cover the fish tank. Damn cat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I made a partially closed chamber with the wire plant stand and clear shower curtain.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422680356.660049.jpgyou get the general idea. The cats can't get in. I suppose if they were aggressive about it they could but luckily my cats aren't.