How the Rooipens (Chersina angulata) survives the Cape Winter

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Garden Route, South Africa
I've wondered how our wild garden tortoises survive the colder times in winter. They don't hibernate but do disappear during colder spells. Luckily this winter a little fella has settled into an area where I can observe. He digs a sloping hole and gets into it every afternoon at about 4pm, spends the night, and emerges at about 11am when the sun is warm enough. We have some heavy rainfall so the slope is pretty ingenious. His feet might get wet in the hole but his head remains out of the water. Amazing creature as the nights can fall to about 0 dgrees celcius here. I have attached some pics, sunglasses for scale!tort 002.JPG

Above: empty hole under some brush

tort 007.JPG
Above: Little guy snug in his hole

tort 010.JPG

This little one is going on for about 2 years old now. Still quite small.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow, small tortoise (relative to adult size) observations are very rare. That you have not only seen a younger animal and noted what you have seen, you brought pictures to the conversation. Thanks so much, this is so totally cool to see and read. It is this kind of gift of information that makes TFO worth it at all IMO, thanks.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Wow, small tortoise (relative to adult size) observations are very rare. That you have not only seen a younger animal and noted what you have seen, you brought pictures to the conversation. Thanks so much, this is so totally cool to see and read. It is this kind of gift of information that makes TFO worth it at all IMO, thanks.
Hi Will, thanks for the kind words! I am also fascinated by them and really pleased to be able to see what this little chap does. A week ago we had flood warnings and I was worried about him and put him in a bucket of sand in the shed overnight. He was most unhappy and would not settle so I have decided to just leave well alone. I put him out early the next morning and he got straight back into his hole. He seems to be perfectly able to take care of himself. I check on him daily and his routine doesn't change. Up at around 11 after which he spends a few hours grazing. Then back into the hole before it gets cold again.

JeannineD

5 Year Member
Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing. Any pics of some wild adults to share? ;)
I will definitely get some. We have a really big guy that pops in about once a week. We call him Meanie. He is like a Viking. Comes into the garden and wreaks havoc. During mating season he has sex with any female he can jump, he fights and overturns all the other males, eats whatever takes his fancy and then leaves. Quite a character. I think he is the alpha, if they have such a thing, and has fathered many of the tortoises in our area. I will measure him too, he is very large for this type, I think he must be pretty old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fascinating stuff. Thank you very much and please continue to share your observations and pictures with us. Any link to the wild is valuable info.