How quick can a Russian bond with someone?

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
We just adopted a Russian Tortoise (age 5-7 years old) and he seems to have bonded with my son in least then a day. Toby (Tortoise name) will go to him and let my son hold him with out moving his leg like trying to get away. Is this possible or am I just overthinking it?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
just be sure whatever is happening it isn't due to stress personally i'd let the tort settle in to its area before really wanting to interact with it as it may cause it to stress which can lead to a number of health issues

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've noticed that one of my Russians will follow a child around the yard as if playing a game. It may be that this Russian is intrigued by the small size of this human playmate or maybe it's just the tone of youthful laughter.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Who really knows why we or any other living, breathing, thinking creature gravitates to another....if the tort seems intrigued by the youngin, then so be it....if the child is mindful of the size difference and the harm that he can cause the tort and is respectful of that then more power to him....:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine started following me the first few days. But not my husband.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reptiles don't "bond" to people. There are other behavior factors to explain this.

tortoise_man2

I agree with what tom said. Here is a good example, i own a green anole and he only lets me hold him because i have warm hands. My tortoise only comes to me for the food, and to get her head rubbed. I think that tortoises can bond but most other reptiles seam oblivious to their owners. I don't think my tortoise has really bonded with me.

tortoise_man2

All of these behaviors may be "bonding." But how can we know what these animals are thinking

tortoise_man2

Goodness, I sent an unfinished reply.

Here is what i tried to put in the last message.

All of these behaviors may be the animals way of "bonding" but how can we know if they are just reactions that the animal has learned to get something it wanted?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tortoises can definitely differentiate between people, but I personally don't think that they 'bond' per se. Keep in mind that their brains are fairly basic. Because of their life span, they seem to have a better memory of some things... and they do seem more aware that we are 'out there' than other reptiles... but then just when I start thinking they are 'smart' they get stuck digging in corner for 3 hours.

My tortoises see me as their 'food bringer' and some come when I call them (expecting food). My male will interrupt pursuing a female in order to run over to see if I brought food - that's a tortoise compliment! (...either that or he's just really greedy). The tortoises used to ignore my husband, but then I was out of town for more than a week and he had to feed them. Tadaaaa, they now come over to the edge of the habitats when they hear him walk by.