How old do you list baby tortoises?

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
I am flush with Marginated tortoises and am wondering when people tend to list them. They are all doing great, gaining weight and eating well. Last year I waited 3 months to sell 3 but this year I have a lot more and an incubator full of eggs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd like to know that too. The youngest people can safely sell them (safe for tort). Just don't forget the wording you need to use if they are under 4 inches in most states anyway, maybe all.
Btw, congrats on all your hatchlings this year.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
As soon as their little bellies are closed up and they are eating OK.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
From what I remember it was, “…4" or more unless for study or education purposes then smaller is ok per U.S. of A. federal regulations…" Hope this helps on some level.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
From what I remember it was, “…4" or more unless for study or education purposes then smaller is ok per U.S. of A. federal regulations…" Hope this helps on some level.

That wouldn't apply. It has to be for legit, bona fide scientific or educational purposes.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I think it should depend whether or not they are being shipped. Some breeders will ship at one week old or less. Not a good idea in my opinion.

The hatchlings I've produced I wait at least 6 weeks before I send them out to a good home. Longer if they are being shipped.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That wouldn't apply. It has to be for legit, bona fide scientific or educational purposes.
Except that is what everyone posts and they ask if that's what it's for you say yes, they ship tort. Very few sold under 4 inches is for a legit, bonafide research

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm researching to see how long baby tortoises live for :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cowboy is right under four inches you can sell for scientific or educational purposes. If you are a commercial breeder then I would stick to four inches or larger . If you are a hobby breeder and sell to friends or family then sell them .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Except that is what everyone posts and they ask if that's what it's for you say yes, they ship tort. Very few sold under 4 inches is for a legit, bonafide research

Doesn't matter. Unless he's operating as a business, the hobbyist exception would suffice. Most of those that try to use the 'scientific/education' exception are businesses trying to skirt the law.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't matter. Unless he's operating as a business, the hobbyist exception would suffice. Most of those that try to use the 'scientific/education' exception are businesses trying to skirt the law.
Do you mean the 4 inch law does not apply to hobbyist?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
My comments are in red.

(c) Exceptions. The provisions of this section are not applicable to:

(1) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs for bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes, other than use as pets. (education, scientific research clause)

(2) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs not in connection with a business. (This is where we are able to sell as hobbyist to friends, family and other hobbyists--right?)