How often to use misting system?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I live in SoCal. I am installing the misting system for an outdoor boxie enclosure. Humidity is usually 40-60% outside. How often and for how long should it mist? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I turn on my box turtles' sprinklers on days over 100F. I allow them to run until it starts to run off...usually about an hour and a half or so. But these are regular sprinklers.

I run the misting system in the rain forest for the Asian tortoises all day on those 100+F days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone's environment is different. You will have to pick a starting point, run it that way for a while and then make adjustments as needed.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I turn on my box turtles' sprinklers on days over 100F. I allow them to run until it starts to run off...usually about an hour and a half or so. But these are regular sprinklers.

I run the misting system in the rain forest for the Asian tortoises all day on those 100+F days.

Well I have none of those. I live about a mile from the beach. Most days stay at about 70-75. Tortoise and turtle shells can get over 100 when basking though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but in 75F degree weather, the tortoise has the option of cooling down just by moving location. On 100F plus days, he doesn't have that option. I don't see a need for a misting system if your weather doesn't get any warmer than 75F or 80F degrees. Besides adding moisture to the air, the mist also cools the air quite a bit. You don't want to cool your tortoises with mist and make them sick if the weather isn't warm enough.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, but in 75F degree weather, the tortoise has the option of cooling down just by moving location. On 100F plus days, he doesn't have that option. I don't see a need for a misting system if your weather doesn't get any warmer than 75F or 80F degrees. Besides adding moisture to the air, the mist also cools the air quite a bit. You don't want to cool your tortoises with mist and make them sick if the weather isn't warm enough.

So would 50% humidity work? I was under the impression that 60-80% was ideal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's different outside where there are no lights to dry him out. Just keep the yard watered. The places where he hides...under a bush, in the hiding place, etc....will hold more humidity than the open spaces.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with Yvonne - I just water my pens enough to keep the plants alive. Some areas stay dryer, some get wetter. My boxies always grow smooth and healthy. I wouldn't worry about the humidity too much if they are outside.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They love rain, so every now and again you can use the hose or mister to give them some. Not for humidity, but for keeping the ground moist & for cooling off the enclosure & giving them some fun. It bakes for better worm hunting