How often to feed Russian/Greek Tortoises

Astrochelys

So while doing my research before, I thought everyday would be the proper idea. However, I was watching a video (Kamp Kenan) regarding feeding baby tortoises and he says to feed them a few times a week (three to be precise). His reasoning is that since the food that we're usually feeding them are greens from the grocery store which are loaded with more vitamins and minerals (as they're for human consumption), it's more than enough for a growing tortoise as it can lead to pyramiding. He also says he sprinkles on an all in one multivitamin/calcium w/D3 supplement twice a week.

What's everyone's opinion on this? Should they be feed a few times a week or should they be feed once a day with supplements twice a week?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When indoors, I feed everyday. If outdoors and grass in their yard, I feed a couple times a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put down enough food to last all day. They eat then rest, then go back and eat some more, etc. I supplement calcium about 3 times a week, and occasionally will put liquid vitamins in the soaking water - maybe once a month.

Astrochelys

I put down enough food to last all day. They eat then rest, then go back and eat some more, etc. I supplement calcium about 3 times a week, and occasionally will put liquid vitamins in the soaking water - maybe once a month.

Gotcha! How do you know how much food will last them a day? Also, would something like Repashy Calcium Plus (all in one powder supplement) be okay to use three times a week?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My small babies (hatchlings) got fresh yummies 3xday. They are yearlings now and eat 2xday. Once I get rid of fire ants from my garden and they start free roaming their Tortoise Garden (very soon I hope) they will be fed only once a day with all the free grazing. Mature adults in mature gardens planted for torts, I think what Yvonne does would suffice, but knowing myself I'll be checking on them all the time and changing water daily so might as well give them some fresh food:)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I always fed my guys every other day so 3-4 times a day. I feed them enough for them to eat in one sitting and some they usually eat break bask nap. Then eat. Then I'll have a day in between no food. Some wild tortoises may only eat once a week or less they have to find food and scavenge. When they do find food they will eat more then they need because they don't know when good will be available. I always say just have a schedule weather it's every day or every other just be consistent . Russians and Greeks tend tonobwr eat more then other tortoises

Kyle