How much Substrate

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
How large a russian tortoise are you getting? That will determine how much substrate you need. The height of your enclosure will limit how much you can have though - I see you've got 14" to work with. Are you putting your lights inside? I don't keep Russians, but I often see people recommending a shells length or more of substrate. You may not have enough height for that to work, at least not everywhere.

I buy on Amazon, but no particular brand. Looks like you'll need about 100 litres (26 gallons).

Last edited:

Meeelinda

How large a russian tortoise are you getting? That will determine how much substrate you need. The height of your enclosure will limit how much you can have though - I see you've got 14" to work with. Are you putting your lights inside? I don't keep Russians, but I often see people recommending a shells length of substrate. You may not have enough height for that to work, at least not everywhere.

I buy on Amazon, but no particular brand.

I haven't looked around for a tortoise yet. I plan to hang my lights above the enclosure. haven't figured out how to do that just yet. I am researching ways of hanging the light fixture right now.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I haven't looked around for a tortoise yet. I plan to hang my lights above the enclosure. haven't figured out how to do that just yet. I am researching ways of hanging the light fixture right now.

If you plan on using the glass door, uv lights will have to be within your enclosure (else your uvb will all be filtered out by the glass).