How much should I handle a male, adult Russian tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ella:

If he'll put up with it, you can handle him as often as you'd like to. If it seems to stress him out, then I'd wait until he becomes more used to you before I push him.

Personally, I don't handle mine at all. All my turtles and tortoises are just for looking at.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian came to me as an older one too. I handle him when I am putting hi inside or outside and for soaks. Other then that I don't. However, he doesn't really seem to mind as he comes over to me whenever he hears me. Looking for food I'm sure:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much do you want to handle him?

What do you mean by "handle"?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I personally handle my Male Russians a lot, mostly because they are such solitary creatures. & plus I like having torts that do not hide because of my shadow or reach... But everyone's different. I have a Marginated who would live on my lap if I'd let him [TURTLE][SPARKLES]

graciebea

5 Year Member
I've had my tort for 2 months now. At first he wouldn't come near me, was scared whenever he saw me and spent most of his time in his hide. But I made an effort from day one to handle him every day, and now he is so confident with me. I'd recommend handling him as much as possible, but not so much that it starts stressing him out:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I side with Yvonne on this one.. tortoises aren't like dogs and cats.. different type of pet..
some adjust and do well.. if handled.. others do not..

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It appears from your post that you do not yet have a tortoise and you are doing research. Good for you! I will always applaud those who ask questions and gather information before their purchase. If you have purchased, then Welcome to the wonderful world of Russian tortoises! My male I have had for about twenty years. He is a character! Mine live outside and he will always come to me when I am in his yard. He has learned to love being handled and have his chin and head scratched. But I dont pick him up and set him on my lap. He is not a cat or dog and is not going to offer that kind of affection. I do pick him up occasionally, but it is usually so we can get an eye to eye view of one another which he accepts. I get the chance to checkhis weight, eyes and nose. His handling always comes along with a treat of a yummy leaf or flower he cant reach. So its a good trade off for him.
However if your tortoise is brand new to you please keep in mind that he realistically could have had a pretty traumatic few months. Most russians bought at chain petstores or large internet sites are still wild caught and imported to the states. Give him some time to adjust to his new living arrangement and dont expect to be anything more than "the scary food monster" to him for awhile. Hopefully you will also have twenty years to get to know each other.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
As a rescuer...please allow me a moment to step up onto my soap box....

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO A PET STORE ANS BUY A RUSSIAN! Check Craigslist first. Not a week goes by where I do not see at least one being "rehomed with a fee" because someone bought one for their kid, spent $500 on equipment, then kid got sick of it.

You can stop feeding into the endless cycle of big box retail tortoise sales, and get yourself a tortoise AND some equipment (generally sun lamps, a heat lamp and CHE, etc) for around $100.

(Steps down). [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thank you, I feel much better. [TURTLE][GROWING HEART][TURTLE]

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
Tom said:
How much do you want to handle him?

What do you mean by "handle"?

hold him

kanalomele said:
It appears from your post that you do not yet have a tortoise and you are doing research. Good for you! I will always applaud those who ask questions and gather information before their purchase. If you have purchased, then Welcome to the wonderful world of Russian tortoises! My male I have had for about twenty years. He is a character! Mine live outside and he will always come to me when I am in his yard. He has learned to love being handled and have his chin and head scratched. But I dont pick him up and set him on my lap. He is not a cat or dog and is not going to offer that kind of affection. I do pick him up occasionally, but it is usually so we can get an eye to eye view of one another which he accepts. I get the chance to checkhis weight, eyes and nose. His handling always comes along with a treat of a yummy leaf or flower he cant reach. So its a good trade off for him.
However if your tortoise is brand new to you please keep in mind that he realistically could have had a pretty traumatic few months. Most russians bought at chain petstores or large internet sites are still wild caught and imported to the states. Give him some time to adjust to his new living arrangement and dont expect to be anything more than "the scary food monster" to him for awhile. Hopefully you will also have twenty years to get to know each other.

I haven't got him yet and I just really want him to be the happiest he can be :) thanks for your response!

SenjiSandy said:
As a rescuer...please allow me a moment to step up onto my soap box....

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO A PET STORE ANS BUY A RUSSIAN! Check Craigslist first. Not a week goes by where I do not see at least one being "rehomed with a fee" because someone bought one for their kid, spent $500 on equipment, then kid got sick of it.

You can stop feeding into the endless cycle of big box retail tortoise sales, and get yourself a tortoise AND some equipment (generally sun lamps, a heat lamp and CHE, etc) for around $100.

(Steps down). [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thank you, I feel much better. [TURTLE][GROWING HEART][TURTLE]

hehe thanks!