how much should i feed my russian tort?

Bubbatort

I originally fed my tort one meal a day but after about two days i realized he was still hungry, so i ended up feeding him twice a day. How do you think i should be feeding him? I feed him Romaine lettuce, curly endive, carrots and some etc veggies.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I feed a pile in the morn and then let her graze outside around 4-5 pm. Your diet will need more weeds and leaves such as mulberry, rose leaves, hibiscus, dandilion greens, plantain ( if your in p.a, you will have this most likely...), chicory, grape leaves, etc. No veggies or fruits really. I give squash as a reef. This is a really good link to I.d weeds:
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

Bubbatort

So I can technically go out and grab grass? The problem with takings Bubba out is a bunch of flys surround him and they kinda annoy him. Does that mean he needs better hygiene?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If flys are that bad around him, then I would give him a good warm soak and use a soft tooth brush to gently scrub away and dirt or dried poop or food. I would also feed him a big pile in the a.m. and if he eats that, then give him some more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, does he have normal poops? If he has worms, it could be the reason he always seems hungry.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I still have a lot to learn about russian tortoises, but from what my small group has taught me is they are not big grass eaters. They like leafy weeds, like dandelion, plantain, wild strawberry, wild violet, clover, etc. Tree leaves, mulberry, rose of sharon, etc. Opuntia,( pads fruit and blooms). Vine leaves like grape, honeysuckle, blackberry raspberry, and virginia creeper. I keep mine outside and have a mix of food available at all times. When I pull weeds whatever grass is mixed in stays in, they will eat some along with the other stuff. Hope The fly situation improves.