how much and how often should Russians eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orguss1

5 Year Member
So i currently put a heaping amount of greens in the morning after they wake and warm up enough for both to eat all in 20 minutes. Then hours later give them some outside weeds again about enough to finish in 20 minutes.

Is that ok? Should it only be once a day?

I dont want to over feed but i also want to make sure they are nourished.

Opinions helpful

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Anyone know the answer to this? I too question the amount and how frequent I should feed my russian. I feed her in the morning as much as she'll eat, but by the time I get home from work, she's so hungry she goes after my hand and will actually bite me.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
You see various suggestions out there.

'As much as they can eat in 20 minutes once per day, or 10 minutes twice per day'.
'Feed them a pile of greens about the size of their shell'.

Both ways are probably fine and they are just general suggestions. gieseygirly, your tort sounds quite active. I do think if torts are active, they could probably eat more. Those that wake, bask, eat and burrow again probably less!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I put a pile in thats bigger than the two tortoises in the morning, they go back and forth from eating to basking, but its all gone by night. On the rare occasion it isn't they will eat it at five am when their lights go on again. My female has gained ten ounces in the last 10 months, and the male only 2 because he had a severe worm infestation nine months ago and he is almost fully recovered, he was close to death when I got him I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.