How long to keep humid?

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I've read all the arguments for keeping hatchlings in a closed chamber. I either can't find and/or can't remember at how old it is ok to move them into a less humid enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Around 2 you can use a humid hide instead of the whole encloser. The humid hide should be 80% and temp 80. It wouldn't hurt to have some humidity in the rest of enclosure too though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've read all the arguments for keeping hatchlings in a closed chamber. I either can't find and/or can't remember at how old it is ok to move them into a less humid enclosure?

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is growing, it needs humidity.

I usually move them outside full time with a heated, humidified night box when they reach about 8".

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I remember once reading @Tom's response to this question and it was "as long as they are growing, they need high humidity."

Although this made complete sense, I got worried that I would have to dedicate an entire bedroom to a tortoise until it fully grew.

Now I realize that they can be moved outside earlier and a humid hide is sufficient.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember once reading @Tom's response to this question and it was "as long as they are growing, they need high humidity."

Although this made complete sense, I got worried that I would have to dedicate an entire bedroom to a tortoise until it fully grew.

Now I realize that they can be moved outside earlier and a humid hide is sufficient.

You've got the idea.

This is very climate dependent too. Its really really dry where I am, so I have a difficult time keeping the growth looking smooth and nice the more time they spend outside. In a more humid area, this transition would be much smoother, and so would the growth.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
You've got the idea.

This is very climate dependent too. Its really really dry where I am, so I have a difficult time keeping the growth looking smooth and nice the more time they spend outside. In a more humid area, this transition would be much smoother, and so would the growth.

Oh, I feel ya. Down here in Diego it's hard to believe we're next to the ocean. Eight months of the year the relative humidity outside caps in the 20s, hence my concern with larger animals. Very dry place, California is.