How long before I worry?

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
I received Ruby on Friday. I immediately soaked her and she defecated. Since then she ate very little Saturday. A decent amount Sunday and a good amount Monday. I have soaked her daily so I could monitor her "output" in these first days. Since Friday she has not "gone" that I could see. When should I get worried?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    647.2 KB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is possible that she has gone and ate it. They will eat poop, some of them. I would soak her today and see if she goes. She might be used to going in her soaks more then not. Does she have a good size enclosure to roam? If she's not moving a lot, her insides might not be either.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
It is possible that she has gone and ate it. They will eat poop, some of them. I would soak her today and see if she goes. She might be used to going in her soaks more then not. Does she have a good size enclosure to roam? If she's not moving a lot, her insides might not be either.
The enclosure is 40' x 7' so it's a good size. I haven't really seen her walking around a lot. She seems to stay in one spot for awhile than move to another. It's also been hot here so it might be the heat. Though I've checked temps and they are good at ground level and I run the misters for a few minutes each day. Could it be she's still acclimating?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is 40' x 7' so it's a good size. I haven't really seen her walking around a lot. She seems to stay in one spot for awhile than move to another. It's also been hot here so it might be the heat. Though I've checked temps and they are good at ground level and I run the misters for a few minutes each day. Could it be she's still acclimating?
Oh yes, you just got her Friday and she's not a little hatchling. I notice with my own, leopards, the older ones I got take longer then the little ones. Not always I'm sure, but probably most of the time. I also notice, at least with my leopards, the males much more social, like to roam and eat much better then the females. So, if you're is for sure a female, that could play a part too.
If your worried though, give her a nice long warm soak in an area as big as a bath tub. Put deeper water then norm, so she has to hold her self up, to keep her head out of the water. She will move around a lot more and will probably poop. Always works for me if I feel they went too long without a poop. This way I know they poop and how long it takes them to do so. I figure, if it doesn't take long, there wasn't a problem to begin with.

Reactions: JLM

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Thanks! She didn't eat as much today but was definitely interested in what she did eat. I'm going to soak her again tonight. See what happens.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Tortoise are creatures of habit; and it's now found itself in a totally different world; with new sights and new smells. Keep up her daily soaks; and if its so hot; you might want to add an additional soak. You can give her some cucumber; pumpkin or cactus pad in her food if you think she is constipated. Has it urinated or passed any urates? Check around the anus and see if you can detect any whitish material. Sometimes when my is slow to go; I use a q tip and gently tickle the tail. Not sure if it angers it or relaxes it; but it usually pees; (sometimes with urates); and poops shortly after putting it back in soak.

Reactions: JLM

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
well the higher water worked! She went!! Thanks all. I'll keep soaking her until I think she has acclimated to her surroundings. I didn't know about the urates....

Reactions: Tom

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
She's doing great! Another day of eating well and she went during her soak again. Also got my first official weight on her

Attachments

• IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Ok. Ruby has been here for 10 days now. She is eating great. Never all that I put out but sometimes nearly all and others not as much. I have never seen her in her water dish. I put her in a few times and she quickly climbed out. Since I want to make sure she's defecating We are into a routine of daily soaks of 20-30 minutes in an opaque tub. She's been "going" great. She doesn't seem to drink while in the water. After 20 minutes she gets restless and tries to get out. Water is between 92-97. I've been reading about the urates and I've never seen any. Now she's in an outdoor enclosure and it's possible she pees with me never knowing it. However I've never seen urates in the soak. Plus she doesn't seem to drink. Is this something to worry about?