How I keep my sulcata in a Canadian winter

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Many, many moons ago as a young man I posted on this forum looking for advice on the new sulcata I got. When members discovered I was Canadian, I was harassed pretty heavily, with everyone very concerned I would be unable to keep my sully Dozer as he got older. I think many misunderstood the nature of our winters here, its not Antarctica, haha, being in southern Ontario I am actually further south than a few of your northern states. I maintained I had a green house in my backyard and would make it work. Well, this winter was the first year I've had to implement that plan, and I shot a video about it. I do wish it was larger but I am doing what I can with what I have. A few more months in his plastic prison and dozer will be free to roam his outdoor pen once again. So here you go! Comments and questions welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a very nice and informative video, Peter. My speakers don't work. Did you mention what the insulation on the walls of the greenhouse is?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad you did that vid. I am all about anyone, any place having any tortoise they want, it just takes extra work and money. Have you thought about letting him wonder around outside during the winter months, having access to his heated box, while it is still in the greenhouse? I know there are quite a few members with pics of their Sulcatas walking in the snow, as long as they have access to get back to their heated box.
Also, how old is he and how big? Will you add on when he gets closer to full size or take advantage of letting him have access to outside? Good job you did on all of it.

KarinaVS

A lot of effort has gone into that. Very nice. Im uk based so its nice to see they can thrive in cold winters. My little guy is still to small for out side but great ideas there. Thanks for posting.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Dozer is one lucky guy! That's a fantastic enclosure!

You're proof that, " when there's a will there's a way"

Great job!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you have that bulb secured by anything other than the clamp thing that came with the fixture? I am OCD and that caught my attention is all :D What a lovely tort and a fantastic set up....

argus333

5 Year Member
i have similar set up but not as high tech. but mine is 22 ft x 12 ft wide and sulcata has access to outside all yr. good work but soon ur gonna have to go bigger.

ectothermicfauna

I live in Southern Alaska, and I too have been harrassed by others for that same reason. Last year I was told by southern breeders that he "cant sell to me because he couldnt see it working out for me", by another that I "need to be more concerned with the animals welfare" and another has even gone so far as to say "people like me give herpers a bad name" with ZERO information about me or my setups, NO information whatsoever, other than a zipcode. I have been chastised like a child on more than one occasion, especially when I tried to purchase my second sulcata. They usually quickly change their tune when confronted with photos of huge nearly fully planted enclosures or more impressive setups than even they provide like you have done. Thanks for sharing. It really helps people like me to deal with ignorant prejudiced people, who think their method of keeping is gospel and the ONLY ethical way of doing so.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Peter
I think you did a great job on the enclosure and the video . Have a great tort day !

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I'm very sorry to hear that you and @ectothermicfauna have been harassed. I find it difficult to believe that happened on this forum, as everyone here has been so supportive and will offer great advice when needed. I can understand their reasoning but, I think we all need to keep in mind the fact that NONE of us have a perfect climate for our torts. Unless you live in Africa.
I am in South Texas and aside from a higher humidity and a few days of extreme heat in August, we have climate that is pretty close to their natural environment. And I will admit that your winter set up is better than mine!! Lol. We only get spurts of nights that drop below 60F. So I don't really need a habitat that is designed for long-term use. But, if I did, yours would be about as perfect as they can get!
What part of Ontario are you in? I am originally from North Bay.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thanks Peter! Being in Minneosta I found this particularly inspiring. I don't expect our journey to be easy, but like you, I have never doubted that it could be done! Thanks again.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Nice setup, nice thread, I am just outside of Wash DC and keep sulcatas outside year round. We had a very nice day today my oldest (almost 19) came out at 8:05 this morning and went back to his house at 4:30 which is about an hour before sunset here. A couple days ago 10 degrees F at night and 32-34 F daytime high, today was a tease but we will take everyone one we can get. Large Sulcatas in cold climates is very doable... Is the wall insulation mineral wool ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Many, many moons ago as a young man I posted on this forum looking for advice on the new sulcata I got. When members discovered I was Canadian, I was harassed pretty heavily, with everyone very concerned I would be unable to keep my sully Dozer as he got older. I think many misunderstood the nature of our winters here, its not Antarctica, haha, being in southern Ontario I am actually further south than a few of your northern states. I maintained I had a green house in my backyard and would make it work. Well, this winter was the first year I've had to implement that plan, and I shot a video about it. I do wish it was larger but I am doing what I can with what I have. A few more months in his plastic prison and dozer will be free to roam his outdoor pen once again. So here you go! Comments and questions welcome!

Hi Pete. Cool that. What sort of ambient temp do you manage to get with that oil rad.