How far away should I place this light

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That looks like a 12% HO, correct?

If yes, it needs to be about 20" away to give you a UVI reading of 6.0 on the Solarmeter 6.5. That is extremely strong UV and I only use mine for about 3 hours mid day.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
That looks like a 12% HO, correct?

If yes, it needs to be about 20" away to give you a UVI reading of 6.0 on the Solarmeter 6.5. That is extremely strong UV and I only use mine for about 3 hours mid day.
what would be the side effects of having it too close or on for too long?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Blindness and skin damage.
I've been using this light for almost a month and my tortoise seems to be fine. I won't turn it on again until I have it 30 inches away from shell height. I'm going for 30 inches as I have an MVB in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using this light for almost a month and my tortoise seems to be fine. I won't turn it on again until I have it 30 inches away from shell height. I'm going for 30 inches as I have an MVB in there.

You purchased a high quality, very effective UV tube. Putting it way up at 30" will probably render it largely ineffective.

According to my meter in my enclosure, the correct mounting height for that bulb is around 20-24" with the UV readings dropping the higher you go. At 20 inches I get a UV reading the is equivalent to mid day summer sun here in Southern California. That is pretty high.

The only way for you to know what is going on under your bulb is to check it with a meter. I can help make an educated guess, but you need to be careful with these bulbs.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
You purchased a high quality, very effective UV tube. Putting it way up at 30" will probably render it largely ineffective.

According to my meter in my enclosure, the correct mounting height for that bulb is around 20-24" with the UV readings dropping the higher you go. At 20 inches I get a UV reading the is equivalent to mid day summer sun here in Southern California. That is pretty high.

The only way for you to know what is going on under your bulb is to check it with a meter. I can help make an educated guess, but you need to be careful with these bulbs.

I also use a 70 watt MVB do you think that it would be too much uvb at that distance?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also use a 70 watt MVB do you think that it would be too much uvb at that distance?

I've never used a 70 MVB, and I've never put a meter under one. I'm in no position to advise on this. The only way to know is to use a UV meter.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA

I have 2 of the 70 watt MVB bulbs. Please be careful. Both of my bulbs were from same source, were brand new, and were in exact same housing. One reads 3 on my solar meter, and one gives a reading of 7. These measurements are at exactly the same length from the bulb.

IMHO, Mercury bulbs are too hard to control. They have a very narrow beam which is often too intense for the babies.

I prefer to use the 12%fluorescent hung 20-22 inches above and use flood lights for basking. There's a whole science behind this that people smarter than me have perfected.

Best,
Shaifali

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 2 of the 70 watt MVB bulbs. Please be careful. Both of my bulbs were from same source, were brand new, and were in exact same housing. One reads 3 on my solar meter, and one gives a reading of 7. These measurements are at exactly the same length from the bulb.

IMHO, Mercury bulbs are too hard to control. They have a very narrow beam which is often too intense for the babies.

I prefer to use the 12%fluorescent hung 20-22 inches above and use flood lights for basking. There's a whole science behind this that people smarter than me have perfected.

Best,
Shaifali

Thank you for this first hand insight. Good info to know.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London

Best,
Shaifali

Should I just buy a basking bulb and use the UVB tube? I'm worried that my little guy gets eye damage. I have not used the UVB tube for the last week because it's wait too close to his shell. In the instructions that came with my MVB it tells me to put it 13 inches away.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Should I just buy a basking bulb and use the UVB tube? I'm worried that my little guy gets eye damage. I have not used the UVB tube for the last week because it's wait too close to his shell. In the instructions that came with my MVB it tells me to put it 13 inches away.
What brand is the MVB?

daniellenc

Maryland
Skip the MVB they get to hot and have to be turned off at night to provide dark anyway. Get a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and keep your tube UVB light. Turn off UVB at night and leave the CHE on 24/7

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Skip the MVB they get to hot and have to be turned off at night to provide dark anyway. Get a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and keep your tube UVB light. Turn off UVB at night and leave the CHE on 24/7
they need a temperature drop at night. My MVB stays at a normal temp 30-35c.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Agree. They need night time cool down.

If you can get your daytime temps properly without the MVB, I would remove it. Fluorescent tube UVB and a flood light for basking are much easier and you will feel good knowing there is UVB throughout, not just in a small area.