How does my baby look?

Ashley B.

IMG_6002.JPG I'm doing my best to keep him warm and humid. He doesn't like his hide. He likes to sleep in the corner. How does he look? How will I know if pyramiding starts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can't see much from the little picture, but it looks okay.

You will know pyramiding is occurring if you see a deep notch forming between the scutes, instead of the plump flat material that should be growing there. A close up pic in profile will give us a bette idea.

None of them like their hide at first. Sulcata babies seem to avoid any sort of cave or hole. I speculate that it is fear of whatever made the hole or lives in the hole that helps them survive in the wild. Put the tortoise in its hide every night after dark. Block them in if need be. In time they realize that they are what lives in that hole and not something scary that will eat them. Usually take s a week or two.

Ashley B.

I can't see much from the little picture, but it looks okay.

You will know pyramiding is occurring if you see a deep notch forming between the scutes, instead of the plump flat material that should be growing there. A close up pic in profile will give us a bette idea.

None of them like their hide at first. Sulcata babies seem to avoid any sort of cave or hole. I speculate that it is fear of whatever made the hole or lives in the hole that helps them survive in the wild. Put the tortoise in its hide every night after dark. Block them in if need be. In time they realize that they are what lives in that hole and not something scary that will eat them. Usually take s a week or two.

I'll try to take a better pic of him when I get back home. Thank you!

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
He is as cute as a button. Looks like hes got everything he needs so far. What are your temps and humidity running? Is he eating well? And how old is he now? I have one hatched in first week of May 2017 weighing 41g now. Once they start eating its grow time.

Ashley B.

He is as cute as a button. Looks like hes got everything he needs so far. What are your temps and humidity running? Is he eating well? And how old is he now? I have one hatched in first week of May 2017 weighing 41g now. Once they start eating its grow time.

We've had him about a month. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but deff not much older than 1 month. I keep the temp during the day between 84-88. Humidity I try to keep above 85. At night it gets down to 70 because we are waiting for a dimmer switch to hook up the CHE. If I leave it on full blast it gets too hot. I'm having a bit of trouble with his diet. The grass in my backyard seems to be too tough for him. He has a hard time eating it. I tried to grow him some cat grass but I think the seeds I got were bad. It never grew. So for now he is eating organic romaine lettuce and dandelion greens from the grocery. I just ordered some pellets and grass seed mix from the tortoise supply online. He's deff growing fast!

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
We've had him about a month. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but deff not much older than 1 month. I keep the temp during the day between 84-88. Humidity I try to keep above 85. At night it gets down to 70 because we are waiting for a dimmer switch to hook up the CHE. If I leave it on full blast it gets too hot. I'm having a bit of trouble with his diet. The grass in my backyard seems to be too tough for him. He has a hard time eating it. I tried to grow him some cat grass but I think the seeds I got were bad. It never grew. So for now he is eating organic romaine lettuce and dandelion greens from the grocery. I just ordered some pellets and grass seed mix from the tortoise supply online. He's deff growing fast!
I use a small food processor to chop some of the grass cutting into easier bite sizes for mine. (Got really tired of trying to cut small clippings) It also works to blend the grass with the romaine and dandelion greens to get them used to eating it.

Ashley B.

I use a small food processor to chop some of the grass cutting into easier bite sizes for mine. (Got really tired of trying to cut small clippings) It also works to blend the grass with the romaine and dandelion greens to get them used to eating it.
Does the food processor turn it to mush?

Ashley B.

What kind of plants will do well inside his enclosure? I want to put some in there but I hate to have to keep replacing them if they die. Are artificial plants ok?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
It's REALLY important not to let his enclosure get lower than 80f. ESPECIALLY with humidity that high. You're looking at a potential respiratory infection. Leave the daytime stuff on until you get the che figured out. Just make sure there is a little hide in there that he can hide from the light.

Ashley B.

It's REALLY important not to let his enclosure get lower than 80f. ESPECIALLY with humidity that high. You're looking at a potential respiratory infection. Leave the daytime stuff on until you get the che figured out. Just make sure there is a little hide in there that he can hide from the light.
Thanks

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Does the food processor turn it to mush?
Nope just chops it fine. A blender would turn it to mush.
416DYe0dHOL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg
Food Processor
491-1002_large.jpg
Blender