How do I know if my tortoise is happy

tdt86

I really wish I know if my little baby is happy or no it's too bad they can't smile or wag there tail like a dog. My baby tortoise looks like he always **** at me lol just saying I wish they could smile or wag there tail lol..

trinhtbv5

tdt86 said:
I really wish I know if my little baby is happy or no it's too bad they can't smile or wag there tail like a dog. My baby tortoise looks like he always **** at me lol just saying I wish they could smile or wag there tail lol..
i think its when you go near the cage and the tortoise see you and then move to your hand :D just my opinion

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
"Happy" is not a tortoise-type emotion. If a tortoise is in a well-planted, safe and secure, large habitat, gets enough food to eat and has a hiding place, he's ok with his world. If he's stressed out, he'll be banging against the walls, trying to climb out...or else he'll stay hidden all the time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Sometimes I think my sulcata is smiling. He is basking in the sun, head raised, legs stretched out and just seems to have a smile on his face. At those moments I think of him as being happy. What I am seeing is most likely "contentment" on his part. At that moment he is not in need of anything else. If I could feel that way I would surely be "happy".

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Its not something they really show to me its something i feel. Just the way they look at you you know they are happy i like to think that these photos express oliver's "happy" face
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396557732.755633.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396557763.526093.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: How do I know if my tortoise is happy

Yvonne G said:
"Happy" is not a tortoise-type emotion. If a tortoise is in a well-planted, safe and secure, large habitat, gets enough food to eat and has a hiding place, he's ok with his world. If he's stressed out, he'll be banging against the walls, trying to climb out...or else he'll stay hidden all the time.

Ditto.

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
Happy is an exclusive human feeling I think; may be we can apply the term "comfortable" fort torts. I think. And for the "smile "stuff" the tort need some muscles as any human do. I'm not an expert in tortoises anatomy but it would be very intersting to read some about this issue. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Check the weight regularly. If he's steadily putting weight on, that is a pretty good sign that he is "happy".