How Do I integrate new/older tortoises with existing tortoise?

Msagekite

Location (City and/or State)
foothills of northern california
I just acquired two 14 year old sulcata tortoises that weigh about 40 lbs each. I placed them in the tortoise area with our 15lb tortoise and the fights began. I removed our 15 lb tortoise and the two larger tortoises fought until the one became dominant. I would like to integrate the 15lb tortoise, with the two large guys, but need some help. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is so not a good idea. Your poor 15lb tortoise is fighting to get the two interlopers out if its territory. It will NEVER accept them. Tortoises are territorial, solitary animals. They neither want nor need companionship. They want to be alone. In my opinion, you don't need TWO separate habitats, you need THREE. One for each tortoise. You will continue to have fights unless you can house them on an acre of land or so with many, many sight barriers.

Your fights will end up with one or more of the tortoises being bloodied and hurt and maybe even dead. Please separate them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please read this http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Sulcatas can be amongst the most aggressive tortoises. They have their territory and they don't always share nicely especially with newcomers. The smaller tort will probably never be able to live with the two that you have for the reasons Yvonne gave. The other two may not continue to live together peaceably and it may well become necessary to separate them too. Now that you have a dominant one, the subordinate one is always going to be bullied mentally or physically. Keep an eye out for that one becomkng withdrawn, possibly eating less... these are signs of decline and coukd rsukt in serious illness.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Many species of tortoise simply never get along, and sulcatas are among those most highly aggressive animals. It's funny, given that my experience generally revolves around various Testudo species and sulcatas. Ironically, that which draws me to them, their boldness, most certainly goes hand in hand with that which repels them from each other, namely their aggression. I've heard of folks establishing larger group dynamics, but this is generally accomplished through housing multiple females with a single male. Me personally, I've never been able to get it to work. I once kept a group of one male with three female marginated tortoises, and the females spent all of their time in hiding, unless they were gravid, in which case they fought the male and each other. Me personally, I absolutely detest the idea of my animals injuring one another, so I house them separately, with combat and mating introductions in the spring. I'm uncertain how well this would work for sulcatas, but unless it is your intention to breed your sullies, I suggest you keep them separate, perhaps introducing them every so often for a supervised conflict which you can referee. I always find this livens up the beasts, keeps them from getting bored and complacent, knowing that there is another entity out there, but not one that will be a constant source of stress. But yes, great advice here. Keep them separate for their health and safety. Such is absolutely imperative.

T.G.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a warm welcome to tortoise forum to you and your three sulcatas.
Good advice given already, so hope you enjoy the forum, even when the news may not be so good.

Msagekite

foothills of northern california
Thank you for your great advice. We acquired the two males together, from one of my former students. We had already separated out the smaller tortoise right away,(after the fight), but now all three will be separate. Luckily, we have a lot of land to work with. We are building a wood wall, since even the sight of the other tortoises seems to bring Timmy, (our small guy) stress. We have a wire wall right now with large objects to prevent destruction. Thank you again, all the advice was very helpful.