How Crazy Is My Russian?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
when you have an animal as stubborn as a tortoise with no sense of time that's what you get

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
HAHA...I've got like 10. A couple by the mailbox so that it makes it easier for people to find my driveway. All I have to say is "just look for the house with the flamingos!".

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Put something in his way so we has to go around it. Like a big logs or a big rock etc. so that he can't just run the perimeter.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
HAHA...I've got like 10. A couple by the mailbox so that it makes it easier for people to find my driveway. All I have to say is "just look for the house with the flamingos!".
Very nice!! XD I tell people they've got the right one when they see the tortoise sculpture in the front garden. ;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know this is cute and all, but actually your tortoise is very stressed. It's one thing if he doesn't a little but if he's really doing this for hours there's a problem.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I know this is cute and all, but actually your tortoise is very stressed. It's one thing if he doesn't a little but if he's really doing this for hours there's a problem.
Hmm, I have moved him to the other side of the enclosure (which is 96 sq. ft.), and he merely walks all the way back to pace in the same spot again as though I had not moved him at all. I have tried to put some things in his way, but he has either climbed over them to continue on his way, or burrowed into them in an effort to push them out of the way so he can keep going. I am really lost as to what else I could do. There are plenty of plants for him to hide under, and I have seen him do that on other occasions. It's this one behavior that I just can't understand. :(

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
@Tom , do you have any insight on this behavior? Is my tortoise really stressed out? :confused:

For the meantime, I put a kiln-dried piece of firewood (since it shouldn't be treated) in the middle of his pacing area to slow him down...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
May take a sec to load, but here he is climbing over the obstacle. Sigh. Russians!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stand the obstacle up on end and secure it in place, making him have to walk around it. or put a big rock in the way.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
OK, I like these ideas!!! I did see a photo of enclosure with a small hill. I liked it. It had a "cave" inside the hill, and grass on top. This might be a cool idea for next year, just so long as he can't reach the top of the fence.