How can you work out the age of a tortoise?

Ritab25

I have had my tortoise for 50 years, but I am interested to work out his actual age.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto. You have to know the hatch date. If you know who all the previous owners were, you could work back to the first one.

Ritab25

He was shipped over in the early 1960'stages and bought from a pet shop in Crystal Palace, so no history.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
He was shipped over in the early 1960'stages and bought from a pet shop in Crystal Palace, so no history.
If you happen to have pictures of it from 1960, we could at least guestimate the age at that time - whether it looks to be a juvenile or looks to be at least a 20 yr old, etc.

What species of tortoise are we talking about? When 20 yrs old or less, some will lend themselves to a good guess at age if you have a good picture.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK. :)

Lovely to hear about yet another of these old British torts like our Joe.

Typically these are Greeks, sometimes Hermann's, that were wild caught as juveniles. Unfortunately, as growth is affected by diet and environment, they all grow at different rates.

Our Greek, Joe, measured roughly 4"/10cm in when acquired in 1970 and continued to grow until around the turn of the century. All we can do is guess at over 50.

We'd love to see photos :)