How can I tell the age of my RT?

Tort-Rex

Since we got Rex, my RT, at Petsmart, we do not know the age of him. Also, the worker did not say anything about his age and said he was definitely a female, even though I found out HE is definitely a "he". So, I don't really think they would know anyway.
So, I was just wondering, how, if there is a way, can I tell the age of my Russian tortoise?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Not really without a hatch date. If over 4" he is an adult & can be 4 to 10 years or even older. I got mine at ps too & was told she was a baby....so I have dubbed her 8yrs old since there's no way to know

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It's very hard to tell the age of an RT without their hatch date! You can roughly estimate by counting the growth rings on their marginals (outer ring of scutes) but there's really no way to your torts EXACT age.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Franklin's from petco, I too had this question, someone here told me 5 was a good number to go by for estimate purposes, so his adoption day is also his birthday, so we just had his second "gotcha day" and his 7th birthday.

My petco was smart enough to actually give me a male, the worker even double checked with another worker! they don't feed them entirely properly but do at least know some stuff when it comes to reptiles at my petco (we have no local owned pet shops anywhere close!)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hold on let me check my magic 8 ball.
"answer cloudy ask again"
I keep getting the same answer.
There is no way to know without a hatch date, they are just guesses otherwise.

StaceyJ

Boston MA
We just guessed at 3yrs old'ish and will have a 'greens' cake on the day we got him. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can live for 100 years or more, so whether they are 4 or 40, doesn't really matter. I say, just enjoy your tortoise whatever his age.

Tort-Rex

Thanks for all your replies, I love him even if he is older than I would have expected. His age doesn't really matter to me, I was just wondering :)