How authoritative is the tortoise table diet guideline?

mrscruffy

Hi,

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

It is a great resource and the creators deserve credit for all of the work they put into it, but I wonder how developed is the science underpinning a lot of the claims about specific plants? I presume that not much toxicity testing has been done specifically on tortoises.

It seems that different species have evolved to have different diets and Manouria's seem to break a lot of diet rules in the table. e.g alocasia.

What are your thoughts or experiences? Do you ignore their dietary claims with your torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't worry about it. For example they were just talking over on the chat thread about how toxic asparagus fern is. I have had an asparagus fern in with my special needs box turtles for many years. they love hiding under it. It is a perfect hiding place.

I guess you might say that I push the envelope. I plant recently bought plants directly into the habitats. I don't worry about if a plant is toxic or not. The only plants I will not have on my property are oleander.

When The Tortoise Table was first alluded to on this Forum, I used to go over there all the time and look stuff up. But I quickly realized they were telling us about all these toxic plants that I have in my tortoise yards.

So, to answer your question, I think it is a good general guide, but everyone should use their own judgement.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I don't worry about it. For example they were just talking over on the chat thread about how toxic asparagus fern is. I have had an asparagus fern in with my special needs box turtles for many years. they love hiding under it. It is a perfect hiding place.

I guess you might say that I push the envelope. I plant recently bought plants directly into the habitats. I don't worry about if a plant is toxic or not. The only plants I will not have on my property are oleander.

When The Tortoise Table was first alluded to on this Forum, I used to go over there all the time and look stuff up. But I quickly realized they were telling us about all these toxic plants that I have in my tortoise yards.

So, to answer your question, I think it is a good general guide, but everyone should use their own judgement.
Interesting about the asparagus fern. I use these heavily as well without issue. One thing I do notice with the fern being the erosa pen is they will eat the boston fern but not the asparagus fern. I had no idea they were listed toxic. I would remove it anyways. It's they're favorite place to seek shelter.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am another of the "push the envelope" type folks. I do consider what tortoise will be getting the plant (for example: is it a Russian or sulcata who will eat it all in one enormous bite or an erosa who most likely will never even take a small lady like nibble). I listen more to what other tortoise keepers have found works for them, with that table being about third on my list of things to follow. To me it is a guide, not a black and white written in stone ruling.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think it is a great website. BUT, I do believe they are little over-cautious with some things, which can be a good thing, but I think it's good to double check elsewhere in case the plant in question might actually be toxic/okay.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I received iffy info, yet again, about another plant I've looked up. The "marguerite sweet potato vine". Tortoise table doesn't even have it so I put in Ipomoea and it only lists a purple flowering variety and the information was not helpful at all.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I plan to use the asparagus fern. And I plan to go get more.
The mondo grass was listed poorly as well. I used it with my boxie and all he ever did was hide around it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I received iffy info, yet again, about another plant I've looked up. The "marguerite sweet potato vine". Tortoise table doesn't even have it so I put in Ipomoea and it only lists a purple flowering variety and the information was not helpful at all.

The sweet potato vine is one which most places advise against using, but one which I know several folks in here (such as Len I believe is one) who do use it. I have saw it used with emys, redfoot/cherryheads, and hingebacks for sure.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The sweet potato vine is one which most places advise against using, but one which I know several folks in here (such as Len I believe is one) who do use it. I have saw it used with emys, redfoot/cherryheads, and hingebacks for sure.
Ah. Thanks Jacqui! Very helpful!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep I use it too. It's in elongated, Burmese black, Redfoot, and Yellowfoots pen. They have never eaten it or tried that I have seen.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I remember reading several posts on here or for the last couple years that said that basically the tortoise table website was a pretty good one but overly cautious on the recommendations.

Alaskamike

South Florida
One thing I've noted with my Leopards when I allow them to graze in the weeds - they seem to be very good at putting their nose on a plant and deciding wether to take a bite or not.

I'm sure this is not foolproof, but there seems to be a difference between feeding the torts something - and grazing behavior that is more selective on their part.

And all mine love purslane, which is a favorite common weed eaten by Florida gopher tortoises.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I feed sweet potato leaf to all my torts (Leo, Sulcats, stars, Radiated, etc), of cause by proportion and different volume. They all love it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here's another good website too. I find that sometimes these 2 sites contradict each other but for the most part they agree. I check both.

— Gus

puffy137

Very well said Yvonne, I have many trees here that I don't know the names of, I give them a few leaves & if they go for them , with no ill effects then its ok. Oleander is one of the few plants that grow well here , luckily I've never added that. The smell of those leaves is off-putting even for humans. I'm going to a plant nursery today to see if I can find an olive tree which will provide some shade,& be very appropriate for Greeks. I'll buy a small one & hope they will deign to not strip the bark , but let it grow.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Very well said Yvonne, I have many trees here that I don't know the names of, I give them a few leaves & if they go for them , with no ill effects then its ok. Oleander is one of the few plants that grow well here , luckily I've never added that. The smell of those leaves is off-putting even for humans. I'm going to a plant nursery today to see if I can find an olive tree which will provide some shade,& be very appropriate for Greeks. I'll buy a small one & hope they will deign to not strip the bark , but let it grow.
Be careful, olive tree roots spread...