How aggressively do box turtles dig?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am planning to enlarge my box turtle enclosure this year. I am getting one or two more box turtles but they will have to be quarantined so I am thinking about making a temporary enclosure before I put them all into one bigger enclosure.The final enclosure will have hardware cloth underneath but is it truly necessary?I have a raised garden bed 6' x 3', that I was thinking into making a temporary enclosure. What I have to put hardware cloth underneath or could I get away without it? I would be adding garden soil and leaves and Pete Moss on top of the ground.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I also thinking of having box turtles, maybe some EBT. I love their color. I have a pieces of the yard (Apx 8 X 8) are under a lemon tree which will be shaded most of the day. I like to know what I need to do to have this enclosure ready to receive box turtles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have anything under the dirt in my box turtle yard. I have the grape stake fence pounded down into the ground about 3 or 4 inches. I've had a couple climb out, but no one has ever tried to dig under. For this reason, I now have a horizontal 2x4 all around the fence at the top.

My box turtle yard is on a bit of a slope, and I have a pile of garden trash in the corner on high ground. They mostly bury themselves in that pile of garden trash, or hide under the button fern that grows in their yard.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't have anything under the dirt in my box turtle yard. I have the grape stake fence pounded down into the ground about 3 or 4 inches. I've had a couple climb out, but no one has ever tried to dig under. For this reason, I now have a horizontal 2x4 all around the fence at the top.

My box turtle yard is on a bit of a slope, and I have a pile of garden trash in the corner on high ground. They mostly bury themselves in that pile of garden trash, or hide under the button fern that grows in their yard.
I like the idea of putting a lip around the top, the problem is I have a cat and now chickens. And I don't want them to get in there. And when I was first building these enclosures my neighbor had 50 cats, don't even get me started on that subject anyway :) so the permanent enclosure will have hardware cloth but the temporary ones might just have chicken wire across the top.it does seem like they prefer a mulch type substrate to anything else.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A pile of leaves from deciduous trees was a favorite hide for the box turtles I kept. Rake the yard, pile the leaves. They brumated in the pile, as well.