How about giving my shopping list the once-over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskan100

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hello All,
I need a little help. This is my shopping list for a PAIR of Greek Tortoises. Please look over the list and tell me if there is something I am missing, or something that just won’t work right. I am relying on your expertise on tortoises to help keep me from making a big mistake on my enclosure equipment. I can’t just go down to the pet store and buy what I need; I have to order it on line.
• Enclosure (Zilla 40 gal reptile tank with lockable screen cover 36”Lx18”Wx16”H)
• A strip (1” or more) of tape or tank background to go around the bottom of the cage to keep them from rubbing their noses on the glass
• Topsoil/Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber mix for Substrate
• Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixture
• Zoo Med wire cage clamp lamp
• Zoo Med Repti Ceramic Heat Emitter
• Zoo Med Repti Lamp Stand
• Digital Timer Power Center
• 500 watt Temperature controller
• Terrarium Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
• Zoo Med Repti Digital Infrared Thermometer
• Zoo Med Repti ramp bowl (for water)
• Zoo Med Repti Rock reptile food dishes
• A couple pieces of slate for a basking area
• A Tupperware container with hole in it for a humid hide
• Some dandelions and other edible plants
• Mazuri tortoise food
• Prickly Pear cactus pads
• Calcium Supplement with D-3
I am still unsure as to which UVA&UVB light bulb Probably a Power Sun 100 watt or 160 watt or maybe a Mag-Ray with a basking lamp and fluorescent. But thats it, thats the list unless I have forgotten something
Thanks for taking the time to look my list over
Tracy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks good....the only thing I may do different is the water dish with ramp....I would use a planter saucer for their water soaking/drinking dish as it is less likely to flip itself....I am guessing.g you are going to house two little ones?

When I said less likely to flip itself...I meant the tortoise..not the dish :D

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I agree, a terra cotta style plant saucer works better and is much cheaper for a water bowl. Also, if you are talking about an adult pair of greeks, I don't think your 40 gallon breeder tank will be big enough. You should look into building a tortoise table, it is cheap and easy, you can make one out of an old bookshelf on its side. This would provide your tortoises with much more room to roam around. A 6x3 or even a 4x3 bookshelf would provide way more room than a 40 gallon tank.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Looks like you're good to go:) The only thing I might think about changing is the tank. I know some people do use tanks but they are known for having poor air circulation. Have you though about a 40 of 50 gallon tub? I'm not sure how old the greeks you are getting will be be but this is what I use for my two baby greeks (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic) :

IMG-20110810-00293.jpg

It works really well & was only $20 at Target. Though I do plan on buying another one and joining them together once they are full grown, just for a bit of extra space.

Also, I recommend the Power Sun for your uva/uvb light.

Alaskan100

5 Year Member
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hello and thanks for the replies,
Yes it will be two baby greeks although my wife has informed me that it may be two hermann's now. But either way it will be baby tortoises.
I will look to see if i can find a small terra cotta planter saucer tonight after work, Thanks. As far as a plastic tub, I can not find a big enough tub up here. Walmart doesn't have anythig that big in stock now. thats the only big box store we have. no traget or kmart. The wife and I went looking all over town last weekend for plastic tubs. But we have a little time before the other stuff on the list arrives in the mail. The enclosure we can find locally so we can shop around a little more.

Thanks
Tracy

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I was thinking that you may not need the CHE with the dome light and the clamp lamp. It is always something you can order later if you need it. I added two CHE's after day's of taking temps around the enclosures once I got my big dome light set up. Unfortunately, it is all trial and error but you are way ahead of the curve:).

Great job on the list!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have a home depot/LOWES they carry the big plastic tubs as well.....if you already have a glass tank you can use that till you come across a big tub or maybe hit a used store( ie.thrift shop) and pick up a bookcase as suggested here...just lay it on its back ..pull the shelves place a liner in it and dill er up with your substrate and so on that is if you don't have the furry type of critters that can easily get to them.....you can do lots of different stuff for their enclosure ....

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
I have to agree with the recommendations to find a large plastic tub or sideways bookshelf. Because of the large commerical fishing up your way (I'm assuming by your screen name that you're up in Alaska), you may want to see if large plastic tubs used for catch are available. I remember that our fish were stored and transported around in large, clear tubs when I was on a fishing trip up there.

Through trial and error (and this was for bearded dragons), we discovered that a 160 Watt Power Sun in a 36" tank generated too much heat. It left the entire tank hot without a 'cool down' spot. The 'cool' side of the tank was in the high 80's low 90's. Glass tanks retain heat similar to the inside of cars out in direct sunlight.

We had to downgrade to a 100 Watt and get a 48" tank for the dragons to be able to properly thermoregulate. Keep in mind these bearded dragons can handle basking temps of 110 F.

For Greeks or Hermanns, they should have a cool side around 75-80 F. Also their humidity requirements at minimum 50%, but ideally 60%+ will be very challenging to maintain as a Powersun (even a 100 Watt one) in a 3' foot tank will dry out the tank very rapidly.

Alaskan100

5 Year Member
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hi again and thanks for the replies.
The glass tank is the largest small enclosure I can find. BELIVE me, I went all over Fairbanks looking for something less expensive, rubbermaid tub, walmart tub even looked at local plant nursreys. A book case would be to big and to hard to controll the temperature and humidity durring the winter time up here. Smaller is better for winter and babys. We only have a lowes, Home depot and Walmart. Its not that these stores don't carry the items. It is they can not keep them in stock. Shipments come in every couple of weeks. And then they don't order enough. So unless you are standing there waiting for them to restock You are not going to get the item. A good example is Petco. A PowerSun 160watt MVB cost 87.95 up here. You will only find 2-3 of them on the shelf when they "restock". Its simple supply and demand. The more people want an item and the longer they can not get the item, The more they will pay for the item when it is available. The only tubs we found where much smaller than the 40 gal breeder tank and taller than it too. Which would allow even less air flow.

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.