Household fruits and veggies

Gus.

Newbie here,

So which is the best to feed a tortoise? Can I give him any fruit or veggie I happen to have around the house or there good & bad ones?

What do you recommend?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
This depends on what species we are talking about. Tortoises that originate from different parts of the world have different diets (not surprisingly), so 'best' is relative. Once you know what species you are interested in, you can narrow down diet.

Korall

Sweden
Yeah, just like Sarah says. It depends. Some tortoises eat fruit, others don't.

Though, you should check out the tortoise plant database, it contains what is poisonous for tortoises at least.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you trying to decide on what type of tortoise would best suit you?
Think about the types of food you'll need for THAT species, how much room you can provide for it. Lighting, heating, etc.
I keep Redfoot outdoors because my climate in south Florida allows for it.
Keeping them here is much, much easier than keeping them in a colder climate. (A bonus for me)
The Redfoot tortoise has a very wide range of foods that it can eat that are mostly very easy to find or grow locally. It is the vacuum cleaner of the tortoise world.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Newbie here,

So which is the best to feed a tortoise? Can I give him any fruit or veggie I happen to have around the house or there good & bad ones?

What do you recommend?

Some of the forrest species can eat some fruit as a portion of their diet. Most tortoise species do best on a diet of broadleaf weeds and certain leaves and flowers of the right types. Some species, like sulcatas, benefit from a large percentage of grass in the diet.

For most species, its best to avoid grocery store produce, unless there is no alternative, like for people who live where there are frozen winters. In these cases the grocery store produce needs to be amended to improve its nutritional quality for a tortoise.

Gus.

This depends on what species we are talking about. Tortoises that originate from different parts of the world have different diets (not surprisingly), so 'best' is relative. Once you know what species you are interested in, you can narrow down diet.

That makes sense, still haven't figured out what species is right for me.

Yeah, just like Sarah says. It depends. Some tortoises eat fruit, others don't.

Though, you should check out the tortoise plant database, it contains what is poisonous for tortoises at least.

Is there a link to the tortoise plant database?

Are you trying to decide on what type of tortoise would best suit you?
Think about the types of food you'll need for THAT species, how much room you can provide for it. Lighting, heating, etc.
I keep Redfoot outdoors because my climate in south Florida allows for it.
Keeping them here is much, much easier than keeping them in a colder climate. (A bonus for me)
The Redfoot tortoise has a very wide range of foods that it can eat that are mostly very easy to find or grow locally. It is the vacuum cleaner of the tortoise world.

How big do redfoot's get?

Some of the forrest species can eat some fruit as a portion of their diet. Most tortoise species do best on a diet of broadleaf weeds and certain leaves and flowers of the right types. Some species, like sulcatas, benefit from a large percentage of grass in the diet.

For most species, its best to avoid grocery store produce, unless there is no alternative, like for people who live where there are frozen winters. In these cases the grocery store produce needs to be amended to improve its nutritional quality for a tortoise.

Flowers? That's interesting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Flowers? That's interesting.

Oh yeah! They love them. Hibiscus, roses, lavatera, pansies, geraniums, nasturtiums, carnations, rose of sharon, blue hibiscus, african hibiscus, hollyhocks, Cape honeysuckle, gazania, dandelion, clover flowers, sunflowers, and many more. Just make sure they are free of pesticides and preservatives. Best to grow them yourself.

Flowers should make up no more than 5-10% of the daily diet.