house plants

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
how often do houseplants get fed to tortoises? like what percentage of their diet ends up being various houseplants? I just wonder since I saw on www.tortoisetable.co.uk that there are quite a few listed as being safe, and I didn't know if that meant as treats or as a regular part of their diet....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So called 'house plants' actually grow wild in the world someplace. And because of their delicate nature, they probably grow in areas where tortoises are also. But the thing about buying a plant and feeding it to a tortoise is that the nursery who grew the plant in the first place added chemicals to the growing medium. One would have to leech out all those chemicals prior to feeding it to a tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
true. I planned on purchasing a few plants and keeping them as regular houseplants around the home for a few months in an organic potting soil without fertilizers, then presenting the offerings to my tortoise godling =)

I wonder if there are any nurseries that do organic houseplants, and not just organic herbs and veggies.... hmmm.....

I am attempting to grow coleus from seed as well, so we will see how that goes.

How many different plants and plant sizes would I need for a little RT?

<side note: Thank you Yvonne for always responding to my questions!!!!!>

Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I grow hibiscus, roses, and geraniums indoors for my crew. One year i had squash blossoms indoors They won't eat all the houseplants that are okay for them.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
The amount of plant types and sizes depend on you. I like experimenting on what grows best with my style of indoor gardening so my list of plants in my possession is always changing/added. Sizes depend on the enclosure size and how many plants you decide to add in. Walking space is just as important as hiding spots and food. And also, it depends on the tortoise.. some will demolish certain plants or all plants in a day by mouth or by little tortoise feet (or by butt as mine do).

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My crew likes to have houseplants outside their habitats, too. It provides screening and helps them feel safe.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
@johnsonnboswell - outside the habitat? so like between the display glass/plexiglass and the rest of the world? That could be fun, having a trailing plant hanging over the top front....

@pfara - the last time I tried putting some plants in his enclosure, he did just that! he tromped straight over all of it and destroyed everything. This time I'm going to try some sturdier plants. I picked up a croton, boston fern, and a mother-in-law's tongue, and will let them grow in pots and get established and pesticide/fertilizer free, then just bury the pots in his habitat.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
@johnsonnboswell - outside the habitat? so like between the display glass/plexiglass and the rest of the world? That could be fun, having a trailing plant hanging over the top front....

Yes, exactly. You would not want anything to provide an escape rope, though. Some of the light comes through the plexiglass & benefits the plants, too. In the summer when the plants are outside & the torts go in & out, I see a difference in their behavior & comfort level.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
The plants you listed are fine except the croton, if I remember correctly. Pothos and spider plants work pretty well, too.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
well dang it, i'm taking that croton back then and getting the pothos. for some reason I thought it was the other way around... I never did care for how the croton looked anyway =P

Jami

I believe croton is not good, but prayer plants are (I think they are similar looking). I think there is some debate to the pothos as well. But maybe someone else knows for sure. Happy planting!

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Prayer plant and spider plants are my go to's for my redfoot enclosure. Both work well and are apparently delicious :)