Horsefield losing claws

Flissd

My horsefield has lost two of her front claws both on the same foot and I am not really sure on what I should do with her.

I don't think it has anything to do with diet or habitat as I have another tortoise (male) who is slightly younger and he is fine.

She often climbs the bar of her cage (they are indoors as the weather isn't acceptable to be out in all the time) they are in a cage as trying out the outdoor enclosure she climbed over the top and it was quite high(she uses the smaller as a step) they get plenty of run arounds in my kitchen or when the weather is nice the garden so I am not really sure what it could be.

Basically is it serious, do I need a vet, etc

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Are they kept together? Then separate them as this could well be the result of fighting.

Russians are very territorial and do not do well as pairs regardless of gender.

Can we see pictures of the enclosure so we can see if we can spy any other issues

I am concerned about the reference to bars. It suggests this tort is in a cage which probably isn't big enough.

Please see these threads
They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Last edited:

Kasia

Poland
Are they kept together? Then separate them as this could well be the result of fighting.

Can we see pictures of the enclosure so we can see if we can spy any other issues
I can be simple competition issue, not necessarily brutal fighting... so even if you see that they "get along" just fine it doesn't equal the they actually do. If you keep them separately I would check if UV access/ calcium amount/diet is in order.

Last edited:

Flissd

I am concerned about the reference to bars. It suggests this tort is in a cage which probably isn't big enough.

Please see these threads
They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Here is there indoor enclosure (I am going to clean it at the weekend and they have finished their food) I will send a picture of there outdoor enclosure so you cean se if that is any better (the larger one is the female)

wp_20170426_001-jpg.205892

Attachments

• WP_20170426_001.jpg
    WP_20170426_001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

Flissd

Here is there indoor enclosure (I am going to clean it at the weekend and they have finished their food) I will send a picture of there outdoor enclosure so you can se if that is any better

The outdoor enclosure prior to being fully cleaned
WP_20170426_002.jpg WP_20170426_003.jpg

Kasia

Poland
Here is there indoor enclosure (I am going to clean it at the weekend and they have finished their food) I will send a picture of there outdoor enclosure so you can se if that is any better
Separate them. That's probably the cause why you're tort lost her claws. Your enclosure is too small even for one tortoise actually both of them (outdoor one as well), UV hangs too high, sand isn't a good substrate... that's just the beginning. Read threads that JoesMum posted, try to give them better care. Simple stuff no Vet needed.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have much to change unfortunately. You have clearly been given outdated care information.

The enclosure is too small and too dry.

Please read those threads I linked earlier.

Scrabbling at the wire of a cage that is far too small is undoubtedly causing the claw issue.

These torts each need a big enclosure ideally 4'x8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) with a damp earthy substrate at least 3 inches (10cm) deep.

Please read those threads as they will explain everything

Flissd

Thanks guys I will take your advice on board and hopefully she should be alright

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks guys I will take your advice on board and hopefully she should be alright
Don't be afraid to ask questions as you change things. We are happy to guide you to options that will avoid expensive mistakes.

There are few on here who haven't had poor or conflicting advice at some stage which why TFO is so successful.

Flissd

Just a quick slight change of topic a family friend gave us our younger tortoise as he couldn't manage all the tortoises he had, his tortoises so I presume ted (male) was kept in a vivarium is it better or worse to keep adults in vivariums (I have heard worse but its nice to clarify and I want to make sure that I have tried to do the right thing)

Kasia

Poland
Just a quick slight change of topic a family friend gave us our younger tortoise as he couldn't manage all the tortoises he had, his tortoises so I presume ted (male) was kept in a vivarium is it better or worse to keep adults in vivariums (I have heard worse but its nice to clarify and I want to make sure that I have tried to do the right thing)
What do you mean by vivarium? Glass tank?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Only babies should be kept in vivariums. In fact a viv is fantastic for babies. Once they reach 3-4 inches they need much more space. Russians are very active and love to walk, dig and climb.

Kasia

Poland
See though is not a problem. Size and conditions like temperature and humidity are. If it's big enough, has enough air circulation and you are able to keep inside it suitable conditions it can be whatever you have or think of from plastic tub to a bookshelf.

Kasia

Poland
And like JoesMum wrote ones you can find in pet shops are probably too small for an adult Russian:)

Flissd

Thanks guys I shall stop pestering you for the time being

Also my favourite website (the one I get my info from) is the tortoise trust website although I have not been on in a while

Kasia

Poland
Mine indoor enclosure is made of wooden leftovers:) A nice guy that design mine kitchen furniture did me a favour and used leftover wooden boards to build 2 m X 2 m square enclosure that's about 60 cm high. It's enough for bad weather/ winter for mine Russian Rufin:) and it was very cheap.