Horsefield beak help!!

Sammie52

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, UK
Hi, I've been reading this site for years but never posted!!

This is Muppet he's approx 6 years old. Recently I have noticed his beak seems cracked (photo attached) and doesn't seem to be getting any better - I've tried upping his calcium and baths etc. Any ideas?!? He's still eating as normal and doesn't seem to bother him.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Hi, welcome to the forum! I have a horsefield (Russian tortoise) too, don't worry! I would make sure he isn't hitting his beak on things in his tank. If it continues to get worse, I would go to the vet.

Good luck!

Kasia

Poland
Hi, I've been reading this site for years but never posted!!

This is Muppet he's approx 6 years old. Recently I have noticed his beak seems cracked (photo attached) and doesn't seem to be getting any better - I've tried upping his calcium and baths etc. Any ideas?!? He's still eating as normal and doesn't seem to bother him.
You have to use a nail file on it. It cracked because the front and both sides are too long. Sides are probably bothering him. File them as much as you can or ask a Vet to do it for you. You have to repeat it if the beak gets too long. Try feeding him on a rough tile, that will help him to trim it down naturally. What are you feeding him? Giving only soft foods will propagate beak growth. Feeding though weeds will help.

Sammie52

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, UK
Hi yes mainly weeds and he is outside a lot of the time! He is hibernated so usually has a growing spell over the spring and then settles down over the summer. I didn't think his beak looked too long but will try filing and see if this helps a bit!

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA
Hi guys. I have had my tort for five years now and am not sure if his beak looks quite right. This threads seems to be the place. I see here people are saying you may need to file it. Picture attached. I can't remember if he always looked like this or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_105710503.jpg
    IMG_20170617_105710503.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
I got mine three months ago and need to file it. Yours definitely needs it. I would try to do it in the bath... that's what I am going to do.

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA

Kasia

Poland
Hm... thank you. I see this tutorial that looks pretty thorough.
http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-trim-tortoises-beak-with-pictures.html

But it makes it sound like "filing" actually means "cutting", like with a toe nail clipper. Is that what I should be doing? Also, after skimming the article, I think mine needs it in the front and also the sides a bit. Is that right?
You can do either but if you do it the first time I would suggest filing down. If you're not a pro at this there is always a chance you'll clip of too much. Both methods go for the same result.