Home's hingeback eggs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
If it is like this, when can I candle the eggs? Do I need to increase the humidity?
You should be able to see something at about 4wks. Although I have never had the opportunity yet. Lol. Yes increase humidity to %90+

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
You should be able to see something at about 4wks. Although I have never had the opportunity yet. Lol. Yes increase humidity to %90+
So I will put them in the incubator and add sphagnum moss.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So I will put them in the incubator and add sphagnum moss.
Yes. You need to monitor the temps and humidity still.
I don't know how people I'm climates that rise above incubation temps deal with it. I guess some sort of cooler system.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
When I tried 28C temps rises to 35, so I removed the heater. Apparently it still rises to about 29.5-29.9C, now the three eggs are in but the humidity is 89%. Is there something wrong with the third egg or is it because it was laid about a week later?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450524192.851577.jpg. Why does the temps rise by itself?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When I tried 28C temps rises to 35, so I removed the heater. Apparently it still rises to about 29.5-29.9C, now the three eggs are in but the humidity is 89%. Is there something wrong with the third egg or is it because it was laid about a week later?View attachment 159117. Why does the temps rise by itself?
If you are getting 29c without heat it will rise when you add heat. I'd just leave them there as long as you don't have a cold spell you will be OK.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
If you are getting 29c without heat it will rise when you add heat. I'd just leave them there as long as you don't have a cold spell you will be OK.
Good to know, but what about the third egg? Does infertile eggs also incubate and (expand?) like fertile eggs?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good to know, but what about the third egg? Does infertile eggs also incubate and (expand?) like fertile eggs?

I don't know, just incubate them all and see what happens. Take notes of your observations so you learn.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I tried to candle the eggs, I don't see anything on the 1st and 2nd egg, someone said that the first two have chalked. The bottom is dark for the third egg.

Egg 1
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451038320.899764.jpg

Egg 2
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451038340.950120.jpg

Egg 3 (notice it is dark at the bottom)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451038361.865566.jpg

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Almost forgot, the first egg is also like the third egg. From underneath the light can't shine much, the bottom is dark. What does it mean?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Almost forgot, the first egg is also like the third egg. From underneath the light can't shine much, the bottom is dark. What does it mean?
Ive not had a fertile homes egg yet so I can't comment on that. All I can day is , keep incubating.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Ive not had a fertile homes egg yet so I can't comment on that. All I can day is , keep incubating.
Okay, hoping for the best. Anyone knows how long it usually takes for them to hatch?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
New Year eve surprise!!! Fourth egg laid. I am still letting it sit in the diapause box first, although I don't think it really helps, but just for now...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
New Year eve surprise!!! Fourth egg laid. I am still letting it sit in the diapause box first, although I don't think it really helps, but just for now...
Cool. See what happens. Be good if you could get your own herd of homeana going. You have the space.
I forgot to mention. Have you looked into starting your own wormery. Free food for torts.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Cool. See what happens. Be good if you could get your own herd of homeana going. You have the space.
I forgot to mention. Have you looked into starting your own wormery. Free food for torts.
What's a wormery?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What's a wormery?
It's basically a box you put your organic waste in so worms can live and breed in it.
We used to have them for fishing. Best way was grass clippings and newspaper.
For your torts I wouldn't use newspaper though. In my compost bin at the moment there is a lot of grass clippings and apples from the Apple tree. There's hundreds of red worms and slugs in it. It needs to be wet. Google wormery. You can buy them but best making your own. A friend of mine just had 4 wooden pallets nailed together to make a box. Filled it with grass, vegetables peelings and newspaper. He got kilos of worms out of it for fishing.
You could make a box lets say 50cm cubed with a lid of old wood. Leave gaps between the wood latts for air,rain fall circulation.

When it is fully established you won't run out of worms. Just keep feeding with organic matter. (Veg peelings).

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
It's basically a box you put your organic waste in so worms can live and breed in it.
We used to have them for fishing. Best way was grass clippings and newspaper.
For your torts I wouldn't use newspaper though. In my compost bin at the moment there is a lot of grass clippings and apples from the Apple tree. There's hundreds of red worms and slugs in it. It needs to be wet. Google wormery. You can buy them but best making your own. A friend of mine just had 4 wooden pallets nailed together to make a box. Filled it with grass, vegetables peelings and newspaper. He got kilos of worms out of it for fishing.
You could make a box lets say 50cm cubed with a lid of old wood. Leave gaps between the wood latts for air,rain fall circulation.

When it is fully established you won't run out of worms. Just keep feeding with organic matter. (Veg peelings).
Should be ok for me, how deep should it be?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Should be ok for me, how deep should it be?
Anything from 50 to 100cm. You need to make sure you can reach in to the bottom of it to collect worms, but also you should mix it up from time to time so your fresh organic materials get mixed in.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
What about 30cm? What type of organic materials should I add in?