Homemade tortoise enclosure

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
When I made my first tortoise table I put a stream running through the middle for water. I know that was random lol. Nice enclosure! :)

ej132

MI
How tall are the walls ? Asking cause making plans for one but not sure if 2x8 (8inch sides) would be tall enough to keep a tort from climbing out, especially after adding substrate to the bottom

Logan Fookes

Michigan
How tall are the walls ? Asking cause making plans for one but not sure if 2x8 (8inch sides) would be tall enough to keep a tort from climbing out, especially after adding substrate to the bottom
My walls are 1x12s but I was just trying to be cautious. I would think height would really depend on the size of your tort.
Also let me know if you have any more questions because I am happy to help!

ej132

MI
My walls are 1x12s but I was just trying to be cautious. I would think height would really depend on the size of your tort.
Also let me know if you have any more questions because I am happy to help!

Thank you for that and the help. Think Im gonna do at least twelve on mine, just hate to think of her falling out and always have a fear of her falling and cracking her shell. Plus I do substrate kinda deep so she can dig.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like a 3-4 inch layer of substrate for a russian. 1x12 is actually only 11.5 inches tall. I don't think its tall enough to contain an adult russian. I like 16-18" for an open topped table.

Logan, If you hand pack that coir, it will be less messy. I prefer fine grade orchid bark for adult russians.

Logan Fookes

Michigan
I like a 3-4 inch layer of substrate for a russian. 1x12 is actually only 11.5 inches tall. I don't think its tall enough to contain an adult russian. I like 16-18" for an open topped table.

Logan, If you hand pack that coir, it will be less messy. I prefer fine grade orchid bark for adult russians.
Could I mix the bark into the coir or put it on top? I can always get some if you think it's a good idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could I mix the bark into the coir or put it on top? I can always get some if you think it's a good idea.

Yes you can mix it, but that will not eliminate the messiness associated with the coir.

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Goodyear, AZ
I love your enclosure! I am currently trying to create something similar. What are you using for your substrate? One of my concerns on making a larger enclosure is cleaning & replacing the substrate. Do you empty your enclosure completely and put in all new substrate every month or so?

Logan Fookes

Michigan
I love your enclosure! I am currently trying to create something similar. What are you using for your substrate? One of my concerns on making a larger enclosure is cleaning & replacing the substrate. Do you empty your enclosure completely and put in all new substrate every month or so?
Well I have coco coir and some topsoil as a base layer to grow terrarium grass, and fir bark on top. I just spot clean and you shouldn't have to completely change out substrate often unless there are serious problems like mold or bugs. I think that as long as you do a daily cleanup of leftover food and poos you could use the substrate for a while