Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I haven't used that recipe, but it sounds pretty easy. I just take a rolling pin and roll them on the cutting board into teeny tiny pieces. Then I cook them in with the eggs to scramble for the pond turtles.

I also boil eggs then smash them with the heel of my hand and feed them to the Manouria and Yellowfoot tortoises. They don't seem to have any trouble swallowing the larger pieces of egg shell.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Considering that the container of calcium powder I bought for about $5 has lasted me now for about 5 years and is still about 1/3rd full, I won't bother...

But- a lot of places have warned against using egg shell as calcium because of concerns about heavy metals, etc. in them. I wonder how viable those concerns really are?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I give egg shells to my worms, but the torts and turtle get a calcium supliment and cuttle bone.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
This is so interesting. Thanks for posting the site. I don't give eggs shells to my tortoises, but I do feed raw egg to my dogs and break the shell up into the egg and let them eat it that way. It's a good source of calcium and protein at the same time and they love it. I only use organic eggs though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.