Homeana got cold.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Had a bit of a fright today with our homeana hingeback adults.
This year I'm going to build them an enclosure, we are having a lot of work done to our house so as a temporary setup I moved there enclosure into an un-insulated garden shed. I just pumped in heat faster than it can escape to get me through until a permanent enclosure is made.
Yesterday at around 6pm all was good. It got to -3°c/26.6f last night and the power to the shed tripped out. This morning they were freezing and 2 of them looked dead, the smallest one especially. I gunned them and they were at 1°c, they must have got colder during the night, Anyway I put all five in an enclosure set at 27°c, but not near a heat source so they would gradually warm back up but not burn under a heat source, I thought about a warm bath, but it didn't make sense to put a freezing tort in warm water to shock it and maybe even drown due to not being able to move.
I was just hoping they would all be OK in time.
8hrs later all 5 are walking about and 2 are celebrating the return of the heat by copulating.

Thinking about it logically these creatures have been around for millions of years, I'm pretty certain a cold snap here and there wouldn't finish them off.

Few. Need to get a move on with this enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad all seems fine. I would now give them a warm soak. Also keep a close eye on them for signs of illness/URI. I would keep the temps higher then normal by at least 5 degrees day and night for about a week as a precaution and to hopefully ward off any illness that may be developing.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Rather relieved this had a happy ending but wouldn't risk it happening again.
They survived millions of years by nature weeding out the weak - survival of the fittest.
Can you insulate the shed ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Rather relieved this had a happy ending but wouldn't risk it happening again.
They survived millions of years by nature weeding out the weak - survival of the fittest.
Can you insulate the shed ?
I've just bought a 8x10ft plastic shed, so that's this summer's project for tortoises.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
These bad boys are actually quite resilient. When we moved all the tortoises down south I missed one homeana. Didn't retrieve it for 3 weeks. It's still alive and flourishing. During that 3 weeks temperatures were below freezing, went through a couple snow and ice storms and no food or water either. It had buried itself which is why I never found it.