High Orange Yniphora and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
They have yniphora at the Honolulu Zoo and I believe they have been successfull at breeding them

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That I'm afraid is a sad story :(

They did have a group at the zoo that included a male. They could never get him to breed naturally, so they decided to harvest sperm (with an electric cattle prod). They got the sperm and inseminated the females they had. They did get fertile eggs from this and 1 did hatch. Unfortunately they tried again to get sperm from the male, but couldn't. He stopped eating after the procedure and died 30 days later. As it should be, they have never harvested sperm from another tortoise, at any zoo, after this incident.
I know they have at least one female and the CB animal (now adult and unfortunately a female) still at the zoo.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
What beautiful tortoises! I had never heard of them before, I like learning about the different species of torts on this forum :)

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
egyptiandan said:
That I'm afraid is a sad story :(

They did have a group at the zoo that included a male. They could never get him to breed naturally, so they decided to harvest sperm (with an electric cattle prod). They got the sperm and inseminated the females they had. They did get fertile eggs from this and 1 did hatch. Unfortunately they tried again to get sperm from the male, but couldn't. He stopped eating after the procedure and died 30 days later. As it should be, they have never harvested sperm from another tortoise, at any zoo, after this incident.
I know they have at least one female and the CB animal (now adult and unfortunately a female) still at the zoo.

That is very sad to hear and I'm sorry for the lost of the male :(
So where did that one and only hatchling go?

Aren't there a big breeding program at Ankarafantsika National Park in Madagascar?
You have probably seen this Yniphora video that says it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdgiCbwT0I

They need to get another male at Honolulu Zoo or perhaps ship the two females back to Madagascar to join the breeding program.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Was that back when Sean Mc...was at the Honolulu zoo, Danny? I'm disgusted by this.

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
Neal Butler said:
narattah said:
Aren't there a big breeding program at Ankarafantsika National Park in Madagascar?
You have probably seen this Yniphora video that says it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdgiCbwT0I

I believe this is the guy I was talking about.

Oh nooo :(. I guess that video was not up to date then as it was posted last year (2009).

How's the current situation at that place now? Is it consistently being restored?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I could be wron, once Danny gets on he'll clarify. Danny said they have got some of them back, hopefully he is being very secretive about it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sean McKeown was there for the first procedure, but not for the second.
http://www.tortoise.org/archives/yniphora.html

Not all the tortoises were stolen from the breeding facility in Madagascar (also it was a few years ago that this happened, the theft that is). They are still breeding and getting hatchlings right now. It would be nice if they can set up assurance colonys around the world. This way if something happens in one place it won't doom the species.

Danny

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
I was thinking the same thing. The breeding colonies need to be established more dynamically in case of any unfortunate events.
Maybe in the next few years, they will.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I know a good spot in AZ they could set one up. Right in my backyard baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.