High humidity & Volcanic Haze

Speedy808

Location (City and/or State)
Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
Ok so... The weather here in Hawaii will be changing in a day, and this is going to be the first time I will be experiencing this with my Russian who is kept outdoors.

The humidity is going to be anywhere from 80 to 100% for the next week. And temps from mid 80 to low 90's. Half of my enclosure gets full sun till about noon then all shade.

We will also be getting volcanic haze aka VOG as the locals call it, which is caused by a change in the wind direction coming from the south where the big island is located. This Vog causes respitory problems to numerous people when it comes around.

With that said, any advice? I'm not sure of what to make of this Vog and how it will effect a tortoise. Should he be brought inside? I'm planning on monitoring for the first day and bringing in at night. Also, should I stick to soaking every two days? He does not drink at all while I soak him, just tries to get out, so I'm assuming that he's drinking from his water dish.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
If it causes problems for us, I would bring him inside.

Keep soaking, although he's not drinking soaking is still beneficial. Is your tortoise an adult?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the only person qualified to answer this question is another tortoise keeper who has been keeping russians on the same island as you for a number of years.

None of us from the mainland have any idea how "vog" will affect a tortoise.

Speedy808

Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
I think the only person qualified to answer this question is another tortoise keeper who has been keeping russians on the same island as you for a number of years.

None of us from the mainland have any idea how "vog" will affect a tortoise.
Thanks, I'm hoping some one from Hawaii with some experience is on here as well.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've got to agree, with Tyanna. As a guess, if it affects humans, it would likely affect your tort too. :(
How long will the vog be around?