Hibernating a young tortoise?

pgroves177

Hi I'm Paul, I have a 2year old female tortoise which has not been hybernated yet, was thinking of doing it this year but am abit nervous after reading the mixed advice on internet sites. I also don't have a spare fridge as I've been told it's the best place for them. I'm more then happy for her to stay awake through the winter but just want to know if I would be doin her any harm, also if she does need to be hybernated do I start to restrict both lamps and feeding to wind her down now? Thanks

josh shultis

Location (City and/or State)
ontario, canada
Short answer is no, you don't have to. I haven't hibernated any of my hermanns an they are happy an healthy. Just keep your temps up like normal an they won't go into hibernation! Some people like to because it's more natural an believe it's better for the health of the tortoise/ hatchlings when breeding. But there's also a lot of things that can go wrong I just don't feel comfortable taking the chance yet

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Plus it gives people a break for a bit of the year around the holidays! But I enjoy my torts company all year round :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't hibernate my hibernating species babies until their 3rd year.

pgroves177

Thanks a lot for all your help, don't think I will then as I don't feel comfortable yet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California