Hi!

helenaxx

Hello! My name is Helena and I live in England. Yesterday I got my first tortoise, his name is Clive and he is a 2 year old Hermann.

This is his table:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483088040.018459.jpg

And this is a close up of him:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483088103.400702.jpg

So I was wondering, is it normal for him to go back to sleep after he has already been woken up?

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
What type of substrate are you using? Looks a bit too dry. Those rabbit pallets absorb all of the humidity. What type of lighting are you using? Have you read the care sheets?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO. I'm in Kent, UK and we've had our tortoise, Joe, for 46 years.

New tortoises can take a long time to get used to things and will hide away a lot. Inactivity can also be due to incorrect temperatures (see closed chamber later)

However, I have concerns about your enclosure.

If you haven't already, you need to read these guides which give the most up to date information on the care of your tortoise. Your setup looks like you were given outdated advice which could harm your tort.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of Baby Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

The things I have noticed:
- A young tort needs a closed chamber (a roof) to hold in heat and humidity
- Rabbit pellets don't make a good substrate. They're too dry. You need something like fine grade orchid bark or coco coir that you can make evenly damp by mixing in water
- Those reptile bowls are a tipping hazard and hard for a tort to use. A piece of flat slate or rock makes a good food plate and helps with beak maintenance. A terracotta plant saucer is the best water bowl.

What bulbs do you have in that double fitting? I am concerned you have a compact UVB (looks like a low energy light bulb. These can harm tort eyes. The best options for UVB are a Mercury Vapour Bulb (combines UVB and basking) or a tube UVB.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Thank you everyone for the advice :) we will be removing the pellets and following the rest of the advice you have both given us.
Thank you both once again :)
No problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. There's always someone who can answer your questions here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Helen, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, besides what you've already been told, your habitat is not warm enough to keep your baby awake. The heat from the light is just dispersing out into the room, and not really making it down into the habitat. Baby tortoises need to be kept pretty warm - about 80F degrees all over the whole habitat, not just warm under the light.

What kind of bulb is in that light fixture?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Helena, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Clive.:)